Positions in this job family are involved in the transportation of ill, injured, handicapped or delinquent children within, to and from state schools, hospitals, facilities or institutions. This includes carrying and assisting patients, ensuring emergency vehicle is adequately maintained, and maintaining records and submitting activity reports.
- Transports children in institution vehicles, escorts children on trips, and provides children with personal advice and assistance.
- Carries or assist patients into and out of ambulance.
- Maintains vehicle in perfect operating condition, including performing routine maintenance and repairs, orders parts, supplies and equipment; replaces linen and bedding.
- Drives ambulance safely at high speeds.
- Maintains records and prepares and submits activity reports.
Level I: Code: Z13A Salary Band: D
This job family consists of only one level and employees are responsible for performing all functions involving the transportation of students, patients and residents. In this role they will perform routine duties driving an ambulance, van or other vehicle to transport children, transporting medical supplies or equipment, and delivering hot lunches to residential units. They will be responsible for meeting established schedules of transport.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required include knowledge of simple health and safety precautions; of basic automotive maintenance; of basic first aid methods; and of safe operation of motor vehicles. Ability is required to quickly appraise a situation and adopt an effective course of action; to follow both oral and written instructions; to exercise independent judgment and initiative in moving or escorting patients; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to drive safely under adverse conditions.
Education and Experience requirements consist of six months experience as an ambulance driver, commercial chauffeur, bus driver, taxi driver or in a similar field.
Applicant must possess a valid Oklahoma chauffeurs’ license at time of appointment.