Toll Operations Manager
Positions in this job family are responsible for performing supervisory and managerial work in organizing, coordinating and controlling the operations of one or more Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) turnpikes which include multiple toll plazas. At this level, incumbents with responsibility for one or more OTA turnpikes are responsible for the overall operation of toll collections at specific toll plazas in a designated area to include scheduling personnel and supervisors for all shifts and performing related administrative functions.
- Supervises and coordinates the toll collection, personnel and operations for one or more OTA turnpikes that include multiple toll plazas; ensures compliance with state and federal laws, rules and guidelines and OTA policies and procedures.
- Recommends personnel, policy and procedural changes and actions to facilitate the accomplishment of overall authority goals and objectives; reviews, approves and maintains time sheets, leave requests, disciplinary actions and other actions for subordinate personnel.
- Resolves problems or disputes in the areas of personnel, customer service, office equipment maintenance, computer hardware and software maintenance and building maintenance.
- Provides technical and administrative leadership to subordinate supervisors and through them to toll personnel; schedules work of subordinate personnel to ensure adequate coverage; authorizes overtime and approves the time charges to ensure overtime is not misused.
- Travels between OTA turnpikes and toll plazas to inspect toll booths and plaza areas for cleanliness and functional operation; transports money vaults, supplies and other items as required.
- Interviews applicants for vacancies in toll plaza; reviews applicants and recommends selections.
- Coordinates toll facility operations with staff, senior management and other OTA divisions as required.
Level I: Code: T51A Salary Band: L
The Toll Operations Manager job family consists of only one level and incumbents are responsible for supervising and coordinating the toll collection operations for one or more turnpikes that include multiple toll plazas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required include knowledge of current rules and regulations of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority; of basic public relations principles; of effective supervision and training methods; of business arithmetic and of record keeping methods. Ability is required to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to direct and supervise the work of others; to communicate effectively; to follow instructions; to develop and enforce policy and procedures; and coordinate and control a toll facility operation.
Education and Experience requirements consist of five years of experience in working with the public which involved cash exchange, toll operations, retail sales work or closely related work, two years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting the successful completion of thirty semester hours from an accredited college or university for each year of the required nonsupervisory experience.
NOTE: There shall be no substitution allowed for the required two years of supervisory experience.
The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority requires the following: applicants must possess a valid Oklahoma driver’s license; be willing and able to drive state vehicles; be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position; be willing to work shifts, weekends and holidays as assigned and in all types of weather; be willing and able to work hours other than on regular shifts as required; and must possess a telephone in residence to receive emergency on-call duty messages.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, stand and walk; reach and handle objects, tools or controls; and talk and hear. Employees must have the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
Employees must be able to lift 60 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.