Positions in this job family are responsible for performing a variety of tasks required in the operation of a turnpike toll facility of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA).
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Assesses tolls, collects monies and makes change at OTA Toll Plaza; provides color coded entry tickets at side entry toll gates.
- Accounts for monies received by checking beginning and ending balance; reconciles receipts with beginning and ending balance and deposits monies and receipts in safe after shift; removes coin vaults from the automatic coin machines and moves the vaults to a designated holding area.
- Handles emergency situations occurring in the operation of a toll booth; assists in moving vehicles from the toll lanes; keeps toll plaza lanes and island clean and clear of ice by using hand tools or loading cleaning or deicing material into a spreader and distributing on the toll lanes.
- Operates a two-way radio and telephone communication station in toll booth to summon law enforcement officers or supervisory assistance and to receive instructions; maintains traffic surveillance in cooperation with law enforcement and other authorities to identify persons or vehicles for which they have been alerted.
- Provides patrons with an assortment of travel information such as points of interest, parks and rest areas; explains turnpike regulations; secures help for disabled vehicles or travelers; reports accidents or incidents to proper authority; prepares reports concerning incidents that have occurred during the shift as required.
The Toll Collector job family has four levels which are distinguished by the level of skill required and responsibility for providing leadership to others.
Level I: Code: T50A Salary Band: E
This is the basic level where incumbents receive training and perform routine entry level work collecting toll payments at a turnpike toll facility. Incumbents are primarily in a training capacity working under the supervision of toll supervisory personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of basic public relations principles; of basic arithmetic and of record keeping methods. Ability is required to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to communicate effectively; and to follow instructions.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of six months of experience in working with the public which involved cash exchange, retail sales work or closely related work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience substituting the completion of 15 semester hours from an accredited college or university for the required experience.
Level II: Code: T50B Salary Band: F
This is the career level where incumbents perform a full range of toll collector duties at a turnpike toll facility.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level I plus current rules and regulations of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified at Level I plus 6 additional months of qualifying experience.
Level III: Code: T50C Salary Band: G
This is the specialist level where incumbents are designated as a lead worker responsible for distributing work assignments, responding to supervisory inquiries relative to employee performance evaluations and providing training to lower level toll collectors. Incumbents also perform toll collection functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level are the same as those identified in Level II plus the ability to direct and train lower level toll collectors.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified at Level II plus one additional year of qualifying experience.
Level IV: Code: T50D Salary Band: J
This is the leadership level where incumbents are assigned responsibility for supervising the operations of a toll facility. Incumbents will perform administrative tasks such as completion of performance evaluations, approval of leave and initiation of corrective discipline as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level II plus knowledge of effective supervision and ability to assign and supervise the work of others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified at Level III plus one additional year of qualifying experience.
The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority requires the following: applicants must possess a valid Oklahoma driver’s license; be willing and able to drive state vehicles; be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position; be willing to work shifts, weekends and holidays as assigned and in all types of weather; be willing and able to work hours other than on regular shifts during emergency situations; and must possess a telephone in residence to receive emergency on-call duty messages.
Incumbents may be required to work at different toll plazas during shifts and on different days of the week. Travel between different work locations must be made using transportation provided by the employee and actual travel must be made in a timely manner. Transportation provided by the employee must meet the legal insurance requirements of the state.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, stand and walk; reach and handle objects, tools or controls; and talk and hear. Employees must have the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
Employees must have the ability to perform the repetitive tasks of taking tolls, making change and giving receipts.
Employees must regularly lift 60 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Employees may occasionally be required to push a stalled vehicle under circumstances covered in OTA policies. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.