Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for managing an agency's research and development program. As such they will manage the resources, budget and personnel allocated to the R & D function.
- Plans and organizes major projects and coordinates such projects with other divisions to determine their needs.
- Supervises research and development personnel and others who are directly responsible for assigned activities and operations; and ensures appropriate training is provided.
- Establishes program guidelines, goals, policies and procedures.
- Represents the agency in contacts with officials, other agencies, and clients.
- Directs the preparation of reports regarding management surveys and other activities, including recommendations for changes and improvements.
- Directs management surveys, utilization analysis, and evaluation research regarding programs and projects.
- Reviews and evaluates published materials in specialized fields.
LEVEL I: Code: E47A Salary Band: M
The Director of Research and Development job family consists of only one level and incumbent employees are responsible for performing all functions related to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required include knowledge of the theory and methods of statistical research; of the sources of statistical data; of current economic, social and management principles; of supervisory practices and principles; of federal and state laws, rules and regulations relating to the program; of cost allocation and budgeting; and of data processing applications to statistical and data management problems. Ability is required to communicate effectively, both orally an in writing; to gather, organize, analyze and present data; and to apply the principles and practices of human resource management.
Education and Experience requirements consist of a bachelor's degree with a minimum of nine hours in research and/or statistics and six years of professional experience in industrial engineering, industrial psychology, economics or program evaluation, three years of which must have been in a supervisory or managerial capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
NOTE: No substitution will be made for the required supervisory or managerial experience.