Human Resources Assistant
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for performing a variety of specialized technical human resources management duties in a personnel or human resources management unit of a state agency or institution.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Prepares, processes or reviews a variety of personnel transaction forms concerning vacancy positions, applicant lists, individual appointments, status changes, transfers, promotions, demotions, salary changes, grade changes, terminations, retirement and insurance deductions and payments, deferred compensation, charitable contributions and other payroll deductions; prepares and processes applications; maintains applicant tracking system; contacts applicants to clarify information; prepares and processes forms concerning the allocation of positions and the establishment, revision and deletion of classes.
- Requests/prints the certification of eligibles for employment; contacts candidates to determine availability and conducts preliminary interviews; arranges for interviews with the appointing authority and/or other agency personnel; notifies the Merit System office of action taken.
- Explains laws, rules and regulations pertaining to personnel transactions; contacts proper authority for interpretation of the laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the more complex transactions.
- Prepares and maintains salary and payroll data, vacancy posting records, individual personnel records, including training and work histories, time and leave reports, service appraisals and correspondence; compiles data and prepares reports as directed; maintains confidential records and filing systems; conducts testing for applicants for merit system positions.
- Assists agency employees by interpreting and explaining employee benefit plans, processing changes in plan coverage and assisting with employee problems through provider agencies; oversees the COBRA insurance program for departing employees and eligible dependents of current employees; processes retirement forms including vesting and withdrawal options for departing employees; processes workers’ compensation injury claim forms.
- Prepares routine correspondence and forms; may type a variety of materials; enters appropriate information into the computer system.
LEVEL I: Code: C30A Salary Band: G
This job family consists of one level and incumbent employees are responsible for performing all functions related to the position to which assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required include knowledge of methods and procedures pertaining to records maintenance; of human resources management or personnel administration rules and policies; of business communications, including grammar, punctuation and spelling; of business mathematics. Ability is required to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to handle confidential matters with tact and discretion; to express ideas clearly and concisely; to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; and to interpret and apply applicable rules to various human resources management activities or personnel actions.
Education and Experience requirements consist of three years of experience in clerical office work, including one year of experience involving technical human resources management or personnel administration work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of college for each year of the required experience.