Gunsmith/Ammunition Reload Specialist
Positions within this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the repair, modification and inspection of firearms and the operation, maintenance and inspection of ammunition reloading machinery.
- Repairs and modifies firearms.
- Tests firearms with proof loads to determine strength, characteristics, correct alignment and assembly of piece.
- Operates ammunition reloading machines producing munitions.
- Inspects shell cases and loaded rounds for quality control purposes.
- Performs general maintenance on the reloading machines including minor repair.
- May train law enforcement personnel in the care and cleaning of firearms, including weapons breakdown and assembly.
Level I: Code: G32A Salary Band: I
The Gunsmith/Ammunition Reload Specialist job family consists of only one level where employees are assigned responsibilities at the full performance level for performing all of the related essential function described.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of the assembly, alignment and repair of firearms; of safety techniques in the handling of ammunition, primers and powders; of the principles of proper ammunition reloading machinery maintenance; of safe and efficient methods for operating ammunition reloading machinery; and of the use of hand tools. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to exercise independent judgment; to follow oral and written instructions; to handle ammunition; and to operate reloading equipment in a safe manner.
Education and Experience required at this level consists of three years of experience as a gunsmith; or
completion of a Military Occupation (MOS) School in small arms repair; or completion of a major gun manufacturer's school in small gun repair or gunsmithing and one year of experience as a gunsmith.