Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving landscaping, tree and lawn care and/or greenhouse work.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Performs and supervises work involving landscape activities, such as the installation and maintenance of turf areas, flower beds, shrubs and trees.
- Maintains necessary records of time, materials, supplies and work performed.
- Fertilizes and applies insecticides, herbicides and fungicides for pest control on trees, lawns, gardens and/or greenhouse plants.
- Loads and transports soil and fertilizers; cultivates and weeds soil for gardens or lawns; levels and seeds new lawns.
- Mows and trims grass with hand and power mowers; operates trucks and tractors; services and makes minor repairs to equipment.
- Seeds, sods or plants greens and grounds; maintains traps, hazards and roughs.
- Supervises and participates in the fertilizing, planting and cutting of grass and turf.
- Schedules the application of water to greens, tee boxes and fairways.
- Instructs laborers in landscaping, lawn care and/or greenhouse work.
- Performs greenhouse duties as required: plants seeds, transplants seedlings; performs greenhouse maintenance; cuts, arranges and delivers flowers and potted plants for institutional buildings and offices.
This job family consists of two levels which are distinguished based on the level of complexity of the work assigned and the responsibility assigned for the supervision of others.
Level I: Code: F77A Salary Band: E
This is the career level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities for performing a full range of duties in the care and maintenance of lawns and grounds on state owned or leased property and the supervision, as a working leader, of crews engaged in performing various landscaping and other activities related to installing and maintaining lawns, flower beds, shrubs and trees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of lawn care and gardening methods, such as planting, pruning and spraying; of the use of machines, tools and materials in lawn care and landscaping; of green-house and nursery techniques; of the care of turf; and of the various plant diseases and insects and their control. Skill is required to operate equipment, tools and materials used in plant and lawn care; and to follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of one year of experience in gardening, lawn care or greenhouse work.
Level II: Code: F77B Salary Band: F
This is the leadership level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities for the supervision of a grounds maintenance program, other groundskeepers, temporary employees, laborers, patients, inmates or others in work related to specialized lawn and tree care, gardening, or greenhouse operations. In this role they will formulate annual plans, schedules and cost estimates for all gardening, greenhouse, grounds or landscaping operations and be responsible for directing all activities and operations related to the grounds maintenance program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level I plus knowledge of plant and gardening costs; of landscape design; and of supervisory principles and practices. Ability is required to supervise the work of others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of three years of experience in gardening, lawn care, landscaping, or greenhouse work.
Some agencies may require possession of a valid Oklahoma driver's license at time of appointment in order to operate equipment associated with the duties of this position.
Possession of a Certified Pesticide Applicator License may be required within six (6) months of appointment for those incumbents working with and applying pesticides.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel requirements normally associated with the position.
Upon a conditional offer of employment, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services applicants must submit to a physical examination and shall meet the physical examination requirements of occasionally lifting/carrying 60 pounds and able to push and pull a maximum force of 20 pounds.