Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the operation of various types of equipment or machinery in performing various maintenance or construction activities, or in completing other functions involving the use of equipment or machinery.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Drives trucks and buses to transport materials, trash, merchandise, equipment and/or employees; may load and unload truck assisted by others; makes minor mechanical repairs and keeps the truck clean and in good working order; lubricates the moving parts or wearing surfaces of mechanical equipment.
- Drives a wheeled tractor, pulling rollers or sweeper brooms; drives tractor power mowers; operates an asphalt kettle up to 600 gallon capacity; operates compressor equipment driving jackhammers; operates tail grader; operates batch plant; operates mudjack; operates pneumatic demolition hammer.
- Operates power shovels or cranes with hoe, dipper, clam shell, dragline, load hooks or other attachments in doing such tasks as excavating and moving earth, rock, sand and other bulky materials; moving lumber, girders and similar objects; loading trucks from stockpiles or borrow pits; clearing right-of-way; and making cuts and fills to grade.
- Operates a heavy bulldozer or tractor and scraper unit in earth-moving operations or similar maintenance or construction work.
- Does all related and incidental work, such as building deck or platform, constructing and raising derrick, placing guy lines and rigging ropes, cables and pulleys and other work in erecting pile drivers; removing and replacing caps, braces, whalings, sills and other wharf and bridge members; cutting and trimming wharf and bridge members with saws and other tools; bolting new frame members into place using boring machines or air drills.
- Supervises and participates in the servicing, upkeep and repair of equipment operated; moves equipment from one job to another.
- Operates a heavy duty truck tractor used for hauling unusually large equipment; drives and operates large striping machine used in painting center lines and no passing stripes.
- Operates a heavy truck in the loading, transporting and distribution of valuable retail merchandise, heavy construction equipment and other materials.
- Operates a motor grader powered with gasoline or diesel engine used in work of a routine nature such as grading of gravel roads and shoulders.
This job family consists of three levels which are distinguished based on the complexity of work assigned, the expertise required to complete assigned duties and the responsibility assigned for the supervision of others.
Level I: Code: F78A Salary Band: E
This is the career level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities involving work of a semi-skilled to skilled nature in the operation of various types of light equipment such as trucks, buses, tractors, fork lifts, mowers, edgers and other light equipment requiring a limited amount of experience and training in order to operate the equipment safely and efficiently. Responsibilities may also include providing training and guidance to laborers, temporary help and others in performing routine work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of the operation and maintenance of light power equipment. Skill is required to operate equipment. Ability is required to follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of six months of experience in the operation of trucks and light equipment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Level II: Code: F78B Salary Band: F
This is the specialist level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities involving the operation of more complicated types of equipment and machinery or perform highly skilled or specialized operations with lighter equipment. This includes the operation of heavy equipment such as a bulldozer, power shovel, crane, semi-trailer tractor, or similar equipment. At this level responsibilities may also be assigned for supervising the work of others in completing tasks or activities involving the operation of light equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of the operation and maintenance of heavy, complicated power equipment. Skill is required to operate heavy complicated power equipment. Ability to following oral and written instructions; and in supervising subordinate workers. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of two years of experience operating and maintaining medium to heavy power equipment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Level III: Code: F78C Salary Band: G
This is the leadership level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities for the direct supervision of an equipment shop, roads and grounds unit, or similar organizational unit involving the use of heavy equipment in construction, maintenance, or transportation activities. Responsibility may also be assigned for the supervision of highly skilled or specialized work involving the use of lighter equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those in Level II plus knowledge of the operation and maintenance of all types of power equipment, including cranes, dozers, tractors, graders and heavy duty trucks; of safety measures required for the operation of heavy power equipment; and of supervisory principles and practices. Ability is required to operate a variety of equipment involved in maintenance, construction and transportation activities. Ability to supervise the work of others; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of three years of experience in operating and maintaining power equipment used in maintenance, construction or transportation.
Some positions may require the experience to be in the operation of a heavy duty truck tractor.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position.
Some positions may require possession of a valid Oklahoma Commercial Drivers License, class A or B with appropriate endorsements referenced in United States Department of Transportation Title 47, Chapter 6, Section 101 et seq., at the time of appointment.
Applicants must take and pass a drug test prior to appointment. These tests will be administered through the appointing agency. This requirement is referenced in 49 Code of Federal Regulation, parts 40 and 382.