Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities to evaluate and analyze technical licensure, certification surveys, and complaint investigations to determine enforcement actions for a variety of health facilities/agencies on a state-wide basis; providing consultative and technical assistance to health facilities/agencies and laboratories regarding enforcement, certification and licensure standards for patient services and facility operations; and ensuring compliance with federal and state laws and rules on enforcement, certification and licensure as they apply to regulated entities and the state agency.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Analyzes and evaluates surveys to identify resident/patient/client abuse and neglect and other deficiencies of health facilities/agencies and determine appropriate enforcement actions;
- Processes immediate jeopardy and actual harm determinations; recommends penalties and certification actions.
- Recommends action as to certification or licensure renewal, non-renewal, or termination/revocation; relocates residents/patients/clients in the event of an administrative order; testifies to inspection findings at hearing or in court proceedings.
- Analyzes and evaluates certification or licensure surveys to determine compliance or non-compliance for initial or continued participation in state and federal programs; coordinates with state and federal agencies to convey compliance or non-compliance for initial or continued participation in state and federal programs. Tracks enforcement action and recommends appropriate remedies.
- Analyzes and evaluates the certification actions of state and federal programs to determine completeness to ensure all state and federal documents are included and all requirements are met.
- Maintains liaison between both state and federal programs and providers when dealing with certification actions.
- Consults and advises providers regarding the certification process to help facilitate reimbursement for providers and provide guidance regarding compliance or non-compliance with state and federal laws and regulations as well as subsequent applicable remedies recommended and/or imposed.
- Develops periodic staff reports, administrative audits, program activities and other information to evaluate program effectiveness and quality of service; develops controls to assure accountability for program operation, policy implementation and the maintenance of efficiency in various units.
Level I Code: X48A Salary Band: M
This Job Family consists of only one level and incumbent employees are responsible for performing all of the essential functions related to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required include knowledge of enforcement/certification of health facilities/agencies; of administrative and organizational principles and practices regarding health facilities/agencies; of federal and state laws, regulations, and policies regarding licensure and certification of health care facilities/agencies; of resident/patient/client relocation protocol. Ability is required to read and understand statutory and regulatory language; to determine timing and seriousness of applicable penalties; to establish and maintain effective working relationships; to analyze and evaluate survey findings against statutory and regulatory requirements; to make decisions consistent with laws, regulations, and policies; and to organize and communicate enforcement recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a logical, clear, concise, and complete manner.
Education and Experience requirements consist of a bachelor’s degree PLUS eight years of professional experience in health care, developmental disability services, public health, environmental health, fire safety, or residential or health facility licensure, certification, accreditation, inspection, or administration; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of professional experience in one of the above fields for each thirty semester hours of the required education.