Drivers License Examiner
Positions in this job family are one of the first lines of homeland security for the State of Oklahoma. This includes performing highly responsible work in conducting driver’s license interviews, examinations (visual, written, and road examinations), and inspections to determine eligibility and qualification for driver’s licenses or state identification cards in compliance with state and federal regulations and in accordance with the guidelines established to protect the citizens of the United States and the State of Oklahoma. Responsibilities include conducting all required actions to issue or deny driving privileges or the establishment and issuance of state identification to applicants at designated locations throughout an assigned district.
The essential functions in this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
Interviews applicants to determine the type of license or identification required; reviews, inspects, and verifies legality of qualifiable documents; to verify identity and determine eligibility for and type of driver’s license or identification card.
- Advises applicants as to reasons application cannot be accepted and procedures to resolve any disqualifying issues including providing expert testimony relating to medical disqualifications.
- Evaluates medical, physical or mental information provided by applicant based on state and federal standards; determines requirements for waivers or restrictions to driving privileges; advises on waiver application procedures or requirements for additional evaluation.
- Conducts in-depth vehicle safety inspections of vehicles, buses and commercial vehicles to be used in completing required tests and tests operators’ knowledge and ability to safely operate required systems and equipment.
- Administers vision, written, pre-trip and skills tests as appropriate; evaluates applicant’s performance to determine knowledge and ability to safely operate a motor vehicle and comply with existing state and federal laws; determines area of improvement required and advises the applicant.
- Establishes driver’s license records while maintaining the confidentiality and security of information in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Provides assistance in preparing legal cases regarding fraudulent applications.
- Responds to inquiries from motor license agents in verifying the identity of an applicant provides information concerning specific laws and procedures to law enforcement agencies and the general public and makes recommendations on changes in driver’s license laws, policies and procedures.
The Driver’s License Examiner job family has four levels. The levels are distinguished by complexity of work, skills required to complete specific assignments, degree of responsibility and supervision of others.
Level I Code: G14A Salary Band: H
This is the basic level where incumbents perform work associated with the testing and issuance of driver’s licenses and state identification cards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of state and federal laws regarding driving privileges, physical requirements, exemptions and the issuance of driver’s licenses; of various types of commercial vehicles, related safety and operating equipment and licensing requirements; of the different types of driver’s licenses; and of interviewing principles and practices. Ability is required to conduct interviews; to inspect and evaluate motor vehicles and related equipment; to operate all types of motor vehicles; to administer written and performance tests; to determine authenticity of identification documents in order to verify the individual is legally within the United States and the state of Oklahoma; to communicate effectively; to operate computers; and to touch type.
Education and Experience required at this level consists of Statutory Requirements (47 O.S. 1987 Supp. Section 2-106): “Driver’s License Examiners, at the time of appointment, shall be of good moral character, shall be citizens of the State of Oklahoma, and graduates of accredited four-year high schools, and shall be not less than twenty-one (21) nor more than sixty-five (65) years of age,” and four years of technical clerical office work or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Level II Code: G14B Salary Band: I
At this level employees are assigned responsibility at the full performance level where incumbents perform work in completing various driver license examining functions associated with the testing and issuance of driver’s licenses and state identification cards with a greater degree of complexity. Incumbents at this level are responsible for providing field training to lower level employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level I plus the ability to oversee work and provide guidance to employees in the lower level.
Education and Experience required at this level consists of those identified in Level I plus two years of experience as a Driver’s License Examiner.
Level III Code: G14C Salary Band: J
At this level, employees perform advanced level work that may include independent responsibility for a specialized driver license program; making final determination of inquiries from Motor License Agents and the public; conducting audits of driver training schools and designated examiners; administering commercial driver license inspections and tests; or managing the driver’s license help desk.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level II plus the ability to perform highly complex and independent work for all classes of motor vehicles and licensing.
Education and Experience required at this level consists of those identified in Level II plus one additional year of experience.
Level IV Code: G14D Salary Band: K
This is the leadership level of this job family where incumbents are assigned responsibility for supervising others in completing various drivers licensing and identification services in an assigned district or geographical area to include assigning and reviewing work and ensuring completion of work and training. The incumbent also conducts examinations, interviews and inspections in special cases; and has responsibilities for administrative tasks such as completing performance evaluations, approving leave, and initiating disciplinary actions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified at Level III plus knowledge of supervisory practices and principles, and the ability to supervise the work of others.
Education and Experience required at this level consists of Statutory Requirements (47 O.S. 1987 Supp. Section 2-106): “Senior Driver’s License Examiners, at the time of appointment, shall be of good moral character, shall be citizens of the State of Oklahoma and graduates of accredited four-year high schools, and shall be not less than twenty-one (21) nor more than sixty-five (65) years of age, and shall possess three (3) years experience immediately preceding such appointment in conducting or supervising driver’s license examinations for the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.”