Director of Central Printing
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling the operation of the Central Printing Division of the Department of Central Services, including providing printing, reproduction and interagency mail services for all state agencies.
- The function within this job family will vary, but may include the following:
- Plans and directs a production schedule for printing, photograph and other types of reproduction services; establishes priority systems necessary to ensure all deadlines are met within cost constraints.
- Plans and directs the operations of the interagency ail delivery service; provides for the efficient distribution, delivery and collection of mail for its customers; coordinates mail services with U.S. Postal Officials.
- Determines and requests staff, material and equipment needs for the division; contributes to the formulation and justification of budgetary requests for the agency; maintains budgetary control of funds allocated to the division.
- Develops performance evaluation standards to provide information to subordinate staff on work performance criteria; reviews standards as needed.
- Directly supervises the work of subordinate managers to ensure work standards are met.
- Develops and directs the implementation of operational plans to outline results desired in work products; checks the more important work upon completion to determine suitability and conformance to standards.
- Consults with professional/managerial personnel from other agencies and the legislature to determine special needs and to advise as to the availability of services; coordinates the work of the Division with personnel of other agencies and the private sector to ensure timely and accurate completion of projects.
- Directs the preparation of management reports to ensure accountability for services rendered and funds allocated; makes recommendations to the agency head concerning new and revised policies and procedures to ensure maximum productivity at minimum cost.
- Monitors and evaluates developments in technology; directs and coordinates all supply purchases and recommends new equipment purchases for the Division.
LEVEL I: Code: E38A Salary Band: N
The Director of Central Printing job family consists of only one level and the incumbent employee is responsible for performing all functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of managerial techniques and practices; of the budgetary process; of capabilities of various types of printing, duplicating and binding materials used in document reproduction; of technical processes used in printing and duplicating; and of U.S. Postal Service rules and regulations. Ability is required to establish cost estimates and adhere to production and quality control standards; to organize reproduction work and manage work flows; to develop policies and procedures; to judge the quality of reproduction work; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to write reports.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of six years of experience in printing, graphic reproduction, photolithography or photography, including three years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
NOTE: No substitution will be allowed for the required three years of supervisory experience.