Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for planning and conducting inspections and investigations of cosmetology and barber establishments and individuals practicing cosmetology or barbering within an assigned area to ensure compliance with rules, regulations and laws, and/or administering on-site practical and written examinations to determine qualifications for licensure as a cosmetologist or barber. This may include responsibility for oversight of tests conducted by others who are assigned to assist in completing examinations for large groups.
- Schedules and conducts inspections of cosmetology and barber establishments and activities within an assigned area to determine compliance with established standards and licensure requirements for both disciplines.
- Administers examinations to determine qualifications to practice cosmetology or barbering; conducts written and practical tests to evaluate knowledge and skills concerning cosmetology or barber rules and regulations and the ability to perform various cosmetology or barber tasks and procedures.
- Reviews complaints and other information concerning the practice of cosmetology or barbering within the assigned area; conducts investigations or inquiries as required; completes investigation reports or other appropriate documentation; assists in the prosecution of individuals in violation of applicable laws or rules. Issues citations and fine assessments for various violations.
- Inspects cosmetology and barber schools for proper registration of students with state Board and compliance with standards; observes and evaluates teaching methods of instructors for cosmetology or barbering.
- Maintains test material and other information concerning examinations; assigned responsibility for security and maintenance of test facility.
- Prepares reports on inspections, investigations, examinations or other activities.
Level I: Code: J52A Salary Band: I
The Cosmetology/Barber Inspector job family consists of only one level and employees will be responsible for performing all functions involving planning and conducting independent inspections and investigations of cosmetology and barber establishments and individuals practicing cosmetology or barbering within an assigned area. This includes administering a comprehensive practical and written examination program for certification and licensure of applicants as a cosmetologist or barber and evaluation of individual skills and abilities in performing various cosmetology or barbering tasks and procedures. The inspector will make determinations on the use of illegal products.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required include knowledge of state laws, rules and regulations concerning the practice of cosmetology and barbering; of procedures for conducting inspections, investigations and interviews; of test procedures and security; and of various tasks and procedures performed by cosmetologists and barbers. Ability is required to plan and conduct inspections, investigations and interviews; to analyze information and make sound decisions; to organize and present facts clearly and concisely; to performing various cosmetology and barbering tasks and procedures; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of three years of experience in the practice of cosmetology or barbering and a current cosmetology or barber instructor’s license issued by the Oklahoma State Board of Cosmetology and Barbering.
- Applicants must be willing and able to perform all job-related travel normally associated with this position.
- Some positions may require possession of a valid Oklahoma Driver’s license in order to operate state-owned vehicles.