Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities related to the direction of one or more general construction or renovation projects within a state agency or institution. This will include responsibility for a variety of general construction and renovation projects for an assigned region of the state including evaluating the performance of project employees, quality control of construction and coordination of requirements with architects, engineers and facility managers. Incumbents will be expected to schedule and complete required work to meet desired goals within extremely broad guidelines.
- Conducts the interview of prospective employees and evaluates the performance of project foreman, craftsmen and laborers engaged in a variety of general construction or renovation projects.
- Insures quality control of construction techniques and materials used through regular visits to work locations; responsible for insuring projects stay within time and budget constraints.
- Coordinates with architects, engineers and facilities managers in developing the scope of projected construction or renovation projects.
- Estimates project start and completion dates considering variables such as availability of manpower, materials, budget, weather conditions, scope of project and special needs of the facility; schedules work crews accordingly.
- Updates Project Status Report which includes work crew report and overall status of projects.
Level I: Code: F72A Salary Band: J
The Construction Manager job family consists of only one level and incumbent employees will be responsible for performing all functions related to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of modern construction methods and techniques; of blue print reading and interpretation; of supervisory principles and practices; and of all the trades and crafts used in general construction. Ability is required to estimate costs; to manage effective time use; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of four years experience in the building or construction industry with primary responsibility for managing major construction projects.
Applicants may be required to relocate on a regional basis as construction projects require.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position.