Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities related to the abatement of asbestos in common schools, institutions of higher education and facilities occupied by state agencies.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Sets up a three-stage decontamination facility, containment preparation, wetting and removal process and lockdown procedures.
- Performs waste disposal and site evacuation procedures.
- Sets up and operates environmental and protective equipment.
- Works in an enclosed damp environment for extended periods of time, wearing required respiratory equipment and protective clothing; works at heights using ladders and scaffolding.
- Prepares and maintains job site records and reports.
- Operates trucks, trailers and required equipment.
- Supervises asbestos crews; schedules crew members for specific abatement tasks; coordinates movement of equipment and crews to and from job assignments.
- Verifies condition of all safety equipment.
- Determines material and equipment needs.
- Schedules required job inspections.
The Asbestos Abatement Worker job family consists of three levels which are distinguished by the complexity of assignments, the level of expertise required to perform the duties assigned, and the responsibility for providing leadership to others.
Level I: Code: F62A Salary Band: H
At this level employees are assigned responsibilities involving routine work, with no supervisory responsibilities, associated with the abatement of asbestos.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of proper procedures and methods of asbestos removal. Ability is required to follow oral instructions; skill is required to use hand and power tools; and to perform heavy manual labor.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of the possession of an Oklahoma Department of Labor asbestos workers license and six months of experience in asbestos abatement.
Level II: Code: F62B Salary Band: I
At this level employees are assigned responsibilities involving the supervision of all activities of the asbestos abatement crew while the work is in progress. This is the lead worker level and employees will assist the crew chief in preparing and maintaining job site records and reports and will assume other supervisory duties when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level I with additional knowledge of supervisory principles and practices; ability is required to coordinating the work of others; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of the possession of an Oklahoma Department of Labor asbestos workers license and two years of asbestos abatement experience.
Level III: Code: F62C Salary Band: J
At this level employees are assigned responsibilities involving the direction of all activities of the asbestos abatement crew, including supervision of Level I and II employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level II plus additional knowledge of managerial principles and practices; and of federal and state laws. Ability is required to solve problems in a timely and practical manner.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level II plus one additional year of experience in a supervisory capacity.
Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license; must attend annual asbestos refresher course and pass annual asbestos physical examinations. Applicants must be willing and able to perform all job-related travel normally associated with this position.