Skip to main content

Instructional Services for People Who are Blind

Instructional Services for People Who are Blind

Instructional Services help DRS clients regain or maintain maximum independence and self-sufficiency. Rehabilitation teachers provide instruction and counseling through a program designed to help individuals adjust to the loss of sight. Services include instruction in personal and home management, communication methods, reading and writing braille, keyboarding skills, low vision technology, adaptive techniques or devices, and recreation or leisure activities. Services include the following:

Rehabilitation Teaching

Rehabilitation teaching helps Oklahomans adjust to loss of sight while developing practical skills designed to maintain their independence. Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired’ rehabilitation teachers provide counseling and instruction in the individual’s home, on the job site or other location to teach daily living skills, such as cooking and banking. Individuals may also learn skills in preparation for employment.

Legal blindness occurs when visual acuity with best correction is 20/200 or less or when side vision results in a field restriction of 20 degrees or less.

E-mail for more information.

Orientation and Mobility

SBVI' orientation and mobility specialists provide instruction on a one-on-one basis to help individuals with visual impairments learn to travel safely and efficiently through their environment, using white canes and other independent travel techniques. The instruction may include street crossing, bus travel and evaluation of distance mobility aids to ensure safe and independent travel.

E-mail for more information.

Jumpstart Vision Training

How to Apply

Step 1: Locate an office nearest you, use this link to find the state office and contact information that serves your area.

Step 2: Call for an appointment

Step 4: Gather as much medical information as you can

Step 5: Show up for the appointment to complete the application

Keys to Success

  • Keep in contact with your counselor
  • Let him or her know if you move or change phone numbers
  • Complete any assignments


A person may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation from Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired if he or she has blindness or a significant visual impairment that is a substantial barrier to employment and requires SBVI services to prepare for, obtain, keep or return to work.

What to bring in order to expedite the application process:

Copy of documentation verifying the disabling condition(s), copy of academic transcript(s), Social Security card, picture ID, immigration status documentation if not a US citizen, medical insurance verification, if available.

Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Office: (405) 951-3493
Toll Free: (800) 845-8476

Last Modified on Jan 07, 2021
Back to Top