Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

You can fill out an application in a local human services center, contact the human services center by telephone, or complete the OKDHS PS-1, Request for Services form. This form may be completed and sent to the local Human Services Center.

Where can I get the request for services form?

The forms are available in:

  • Local Oklahoma Department of Human Services offices;
  • Social Security offices;
  • One-Stop Centers; or 
  • Download applications.

How do I locate a local Human Services Center?

What Will Happen After I Turn In My Application?

The local county worker will schedule an appointment for a face-to-face interview. (Call the local Human Services Center office if you cannot come in for an interview.) During the interview, a county worker will go over your application. 

Also, the worker will make sure we have all the information we need to determine if you are eligible for food stamp benefits. The following information may be needed to process the application:

  • Identification card showing your name;
  • Proof of your address;
  • Social security numbers for everyone in your household  (Providing SSNs is voluntary. However, you may receive food stamp benefits only for those people who give us a SSN or supply proof that they have applied for a SSN.);
  • Proof of the amount of money you or anyone in your household has in any bank account;
  • Proof of all of your household’s income;
  • Proof of legal alien status for anyone who is not a U.S. citizen; and 
  • Medical bills for anyone who is age 60 or older or who receives a disability check based on a full disability.

How Long Does It Take To Process An Application?

If you are eligible, you should have your food stamp benefits within 30 days. If you have little or no income or savings, you could have your food stamp benefits within seven days. If you are not eligible, we will send you a notice to tell you why your application was denied.

If I Am Eligible, How Will I Get My Benefits?

Your household will get an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card that you can use to purchase food. An OKDHS county office worker will explain the proper use of the EBT card.

What Can I Buy With Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits?

A person may buy only eligible foods with their SNAP benefits.  Eligible foods include plants and seeds that can be used to grow food.  You cannot buy the following items with SNAP benefits:

  • Paper goods;
  • Cleaning products;
  • Household items;
  • Personal care items like toothpaste;
  • Alcoholic beverages;
  • Tobacco products;
  • Vitamins or medicine;
  • Foods prepared to be eaten in the store; or 
  • Hot food prepared in the store to be “carried out” and eaten.

How Do I become a retailer to accept SNAP benefits (EBT-Electronic Benefits Transfer)?

Back to Top