Skip to main content

Sheltered Workshop

These services allow individuals to work and receive training in a controlled environment with many other people with disabilities.  Workers are paid in accordance with individual production and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). 

Services include assessment, training and transitional services leading to community job placement if the individual chooses. 

Sheltered workshops are operated under the direction of nonprofit agencies which often subcontract with businesses to provide work for the sheltered employees. These services are funded through State dollars and the Home and Community-Based Services Waivers.


  • Access to state-funded (sheltered workshop) employment services is contingent upon sufficient resources and a determination of eligibility of the service recipient based upon criteria as established in OAC 340:100-3-1.  A person is not eligible for state-funded employment services if the person:
    • (1) receives Home and Community-Based Services funded by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority; or
    • (2) Resides in a private intermediate care facility for persons with mental retardation (ICF/MR).
  • State-funded (sheltered workshop) employment services are provided by private agencies that have a current contract with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS).
  • State-funded (sheltered workshop) employment services serve eligible persons with developmental disabilities who are 16 years of age or older.  Individuals between the ages of 16 and 21 who have not completed their eligibility for services provided through Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) may receive state-funded employment services during times when school is not in session, if not participating in an Individual Education Program (IEP) that includes extended school year services through their school system.

How to Apply and Who to Contact:

Applications for Sheltered Workshop services are handled by the contracted agencies who provide these services. Contact information for these agencies can be found on the Sheltered Workshop Provider List. Please contact the provider agency for how to apply and eligibility requirements.

What to Bring:

  • Completed Application

  • Applicant's Birth Certificate

  • Social Security Card

  • Current Psychological Evaluation or IEP

Back to Top