Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes - June 10, 2020


Members Present:

William Alexander

Debra Andersen

Gayla Carnagey

Jason Charles

Ari Conner

Jill Goyette

Felicia Jackson

Harold Jergenson

Stephanie Lippert

Tammy Maus

Amanda McClain

Jennifer McKay

Rachel Proper

Brent Thackerson

Peggy Byerly

Michelle Stasser

Jennifer Towell

 

 

Members not Present:  

Kay Floyd

Gayla Ham

Audra Haney

Cheryl Hight

Carrie Caroppernoll-Jacobs

Aimee Ryan

 

Others Present: 

Mindy Yoder

Sarah Albahadily

Kristan Lawson

Kidzone

Cindy Alonso

Janell Wheat

Katie Quebedeaux

Paul Koos

Christy Kastl

Tammy May

Claudia Ogrin

Jessica Morris

Kami McManus

Carla Frost

Linda Whaley

Terri Davis

Shannon Kaelin

Lorrie Field

Jana Cornelius

Janell Wheat

Lisa Woolsey

Mitzi Lee

Amanda Blakely

Kristi Simpson

LaDona Elder

Sandy Grace

Linda Bradford

Ashley Ousley

Denise Anderson

Amy Cornelson

Lora Walton

Michelle Spears

Jaremy Andrews

Nancy Hoffman

Jessica Smith

Dionne Todd

Susan Kimmel

Darla Cheek

 

 

  • Meeting Notices:
    • The Agenda and Meeting Notice were posted  06/01/2020 on publisher@ecapitol.net  with a  list of all CCAC meetings for 2020 submitted to the Secretary of State on 12/13/2019

 

  • Call to Order:            
    • Jason Charles called meeting to order at 10:05 am

 

  • Reflection: 
    • Brent Thackerson provided words of reflection
  • Introductions
  • Approval of Minutes:  
    • March 11, 2020 minutes were approved  
  •  
    •  
      • Tammy Maus would like to note for the record that she doesn’t feel the minutes completely represented the comments by Janell Wheat

 

  • Standing Membership Subcommittee Report:
    • Gayla Carnagey provided report
    • Remove previous nomination request for Chair Person – Jason Charles can serve until September 2021
    • Expiring term limits:
      • Child-Placing Agencies

ú  Midge Woodard meets her term limit 8/31/2020

o   Membership subcommittee recommends Lisa Smith with Eckerd Connects as her replacement

  •  
    •  
      • Oklahoma Child Care Association

ú  Rachel Proper meets her term limit 8/31/2020

o   Membership subcommittee recommends Terri Davis with Chesapeake Child Development as her replacement

  •  
    • Recommendations for 2nd terms:
      • Jill Goyette
      • Ari Conner
    • Orientation attendees:
      • Janell Wheat
      • Christy Kastl
      • Both are designees for Tammy Maus
    • Vacancies
      • Rural Family Child Care Homes
      • Part-day programs
      • Private Partnerships
    • All recommendations were approved
  • Standing Subcommittee Reports:
    • Family Child Care Homes Standing Subcommittee
      • Ari Conner provided report
      • Subcommittee met May 1     

ú  CARES Act

o   Several providers were upset about it

o   Felt subsidy was taken care of more than private pay

o   Providers feel Director Brown is not really involved with their child care

o   A legislative member also participated and said that he couldn’t get a meeting with Director Brown

o   They feel like they are not being heard

ú  QRIS Recommendations

o   Provided that feedback to Rachel and plan to work together more in the future

ú  Foster Kids Age & Ratios

o   Wanted to go over why foster children were put in an older age vs. biological children being aged out at 5 when they counted ratio

ú  Would like to CCAC meeting notices put out in public because website is not current

o   Meeting notices can also be viewed at https://www.sos.ok.gov/meetingsupdate/agencymeetsFrame.asp?intAgency=264

  •  
    • QRIS Standing Subcommittee
      • Subcommittee members have not met since March
      • QRIS Expansion Recommendations:

ú  Met with a group of family child care home providers regarding the draft recommendations to gain more input on how the proposed changes would affect that industry group. Their feedback will be incorporated into the draft.

ú  Once the final draft is available they would like to hold a joint committee meeting with the Family Child Care Homes subcommittee and the QRIS subcommittee to review the final draft and make any additional changes that are needed.

o   Tammy Maus – the Child Care Facilities subcommittee would like to be included in that meeting

  •  
    • Child Care Facilities (centers) Standing Subcommittee
      • Tammy Maus provided report and handouts
    •  
      • There is not an upcoming subcommittee meeting scheduled at this time.

ú  Subcommittee members have met twice since March via zoom

o   Discussed concerns about CARES Act funding (Maus CCAC Statement 61020 handout)

o   Communication from DHS

o   Four motions that have been brought forward for DHS to consider for making policy changes (CCP Subcommittee Motions for June20 handout)

  •  
    • Residential Standing Subcommittee
      • Brent Thackerson provided report

ú  Subcommittee members met the first week of May via Zoom

o   Discussed SB that did not pass

o   Amanda McClain and William Alexander stated they have not been receiving invites to these meetings

o   Rachel Proper asked if it would be appropriate for Leslie Bradford to send notification of meetings

ú  The next meeting will be in November

           

  • Legislative Update: 
    • Linda Whaley provided report
    • Due to the quick ending of regular business with the legislative session they really just ceased passing a lot of bills and so there is nothing that will directly affect child care was brought forward. The new legislative session will begin next year and the same content could come forth again and as different bill numbers.

 

  • Licensing Sanctions Report:
    • Kristi Simpson provided report and handout
    • Tammy Maus – Peer Review Board – at the next meeting she would like to discuss adding the topic of the review to the report (e.g., supervision, judgment, health and safety)

 

  • Old Business:
    • Rachel Proper - By-laws ad hoc subcommittee
      • Volunteers

Brent Thackerson

Jason Charles

Tammy Maus

Debra Andersen

Amanda McClain

Peggy Byerly

Harold Jergenson – required   

Jennifer Towell – required

Paula Koos

Christy Kastl

Katie Quebedeaux

 

  •  
    •  
      • Tammy Maus – would like Jennifer Towell to arrange a meeting with Samantha Galloway to explain why she asked for SB 951 to be killed

ú  Debra Andersen and Jason Charles stated the two topics need to be separate and the by-laws subcommittee should only focus on the by-laws

ú  Jennifer Towell stated that wasn’t exactly what happened and will see if Samantha will have a meeting to discuss

 

  • New Business:
    • Tammy Maus – read her statement which is provided in separate document (Maus CCAC Statement 61020 handout)
    • Debra Andersen – has been working for about a year with the University of Kansas on creating a story framework to hear from both providers and families. Original focus was around infant mortality and how we can improve access to early child health. When COVID-19 hit, KU modified the story gathering process in order to be able to understand the impact of COVID-19 on both providers and families across the state of Kansas. We presented this process to the Lieutenant Governor. Through the funding that we received from DHS to OPSR we have been able to offer a $500 grant opportunity for organizations to collect stories from providers and families about the impact of COVID-19 – they provide a short story about an experience and then answer some prompts to give insight into how certain factors have impacted their ability to cope or survive. They want positive and challenging stories. They will be gathered in an online platform for analysis of community, provider, and geography trends. The link for the application process is https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G8DHCNT. The expectation is to participate in training on gathering stories and collect at least 35 stories. These funds run out at the end of June. The money can be used to help provide stipends to parents or providers for their time.
  • Public Comment
    • Full comments by the following are attached as a separate document – Public Comments
      • Kristan Lawson
      • Cindy Alonso
      • Janell Wheat
      • Katie Quebedeaux
    • Sarah Albahadily – the OKAEYC Annual Conference will be Saturday, August 29. There will be online and in-person registration options at UCO. Registration will be open next week at OKAEYC.org
    • Rachel Proper – Gaby Moon with St. Luke's Child Development Center and I were unfortunate to have experienced a case of COVID in our childcare centers. She and I are going to work together, hopefully along with the YMCA, to put together some guidance based on the response that we went through having experienced that. In the meantime until we get that out, because I believe personally that this coronavirus thing is still very much with us. I would like to offer myself as resource if anybody has any questions regarding possible COVID exposure in their facilities, I'd be happy to share what our experience was. And then once Gaby and I have an opportunity to finish building out our guidance on our experience we'll share that with DHS and share that with the board.
      • Jason Charles – as a residential provider they also had a staff member case on their campus so if anyone has questions about what they did or how they handled that he’s willing to be a resource as well. Also, reach out to your local health department.

 

  • Meeting adjourned at 11:25 am

 

  • Next Meetings:
    • Wednesday, September 9, 2020 – Zoom
    • Wednesday, December 9, 2020 - TBD           
Last Modified on Jun 14, 2021
Back to Top