Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How does DHS help me pay for child care?
    If eligible, DHS will pay all or part of your child care costs directly to a licensed and contracted child care provider while you work, attend school, or training. You may be required to pay a portion of child care costs based on your household income.

  2. What ages do my children have to be?
    Child care may be approved for children ages birth through 12. However, children with disabilities may qualify through age 18. 

  3. How do I apply for Child Care Subsidy benefits?
    You may apply at You may also apply by printing and completing the Request for Benefits form and mailing or faxing it to your local OKDHS office.
  4. Will I be interviewed?
    After you submit your request for benefits, you must complete an interview with an DHS worker and answer some additional eligibility questions. If you bring the form to the DHS office, be prepared to be interviewed the same day. If you mail the form to the DHS office or apply online and provide a telephone number, the worker will try to contact you to complete the interview by telephone or to arrange an appointment. If the worker is unable to reach you at this number, you will receive a letter scheduling an appointment for an interview to complete the application process. 

  5. What verification documents will I need to provide for child care benefits?
    You must show at least ONE document for each type of verification. 

    Category Documents
    Identity of Applicant
    Immigration Status of the Child if the Child is a Non-Citizen
    Earned Income
    Other Income
    Need for Child Care Work, training and/or school schedule for the child's parent(s) or caretaker(s) living in the home.  If it varies, the schedule should reflect this.

    You must also provide the name of the child care provider you wish to use. If you choose a child care center, that center must be at one plus, two or three star status unless certain exception criteria are met. Find a provider by using the Child Care Locator.

  6. Can I choose any child care provider?
    You can choose a family child care home provider or a child care center that has a license and contract through DHS.  A child care provider can be found using the Child Care Locator or by contacting the Statewide Child Care Referral Center at 1-800-438-0008 for English or (405) 525-8783 for Spanish callers.

    You can also choose an in-home provider. This is when someone you have chosen comes into your home to care for your child.  Ask your DHS worker about this option if you are interested.

    You cannot choose a family child care home provider where you work or one in which you live. You cannot choose a family child care home provider or child care center in which you have an ownership interest. 

  7. I just started my job and my employer will not give me proof of my income or work schedule.  What can I do?
    Let your worker know about the problem right away. He or she will try to contact your employer to get the information over the telephone. If your worker is unable to contact your employer, he or she can approve 30 days of child care benefits based upon your statement of the hours you will work. You will be responsible for providing all paychecks received in that 30 day period before any more child care is approved.

  8. How soon will my child care benefits be approved?    
    The earliest date child care benefits can be approved is the date that you complete the interview and provide all needed verification. This includes the name of the child care provider you choose. The DHS worker must approve or deny your application within 2 working days of your interview and receiving all necessary verification.

  9. How will I know if or when my child care benefits are approved?
    You will receive a Notice of Action letter. This notice will tell you if your benefits were approved or denied. If approved, the letter will tell you how much you need to pay toward the cost of care (this is called a family share copayment) and how much care is approved.    

  10. What are the income limits for child care benefits?
    Appendix C-4 Child Care Eligibility/Co-payment Chart  gives income eligibility limits. The income eligibility limits vary based on family size, and household income. Families may qualify if the gross household income is aless than $3286/month for a family size of two, $4059/month for a family size of three, and $4832/month for a family size of four. See the Appendix C-4 for other samily sizes Please contact your local DHS office to determine your specific eligibility. 

  11. How do I use my child care benefits?
    You will be given an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card when you apply for child care benefits. This card is used to track the days and times your child attends the child care facility. You must watch an EBT training video that explains how to use your card and your responsibilities before you get the card.
Back to Top