Adoption Fact Sheet
- Per capita, Oklahoma adoptions are twice the national average.
- In 2012, OKDHS finalized 1,462 adoptions.
- 60 percent of children removed from their homes by OKDHS are reunited with their parents.
- 81 percent of children placed in foster care are adopted by relatives, non-relative kinship, or foster parent.
- Each year, 573 children age-out of the OKDHS foster care system – at age 18 – and are never adopted.
- 248 children in OKDHS foster care have been waiting for adoption for more than five years.
- Once a child reaches age 12, the likelihood of adoption drops significantly.
- Many children in the OKDHS foster system are teenagers, sibling groups and children with special needs.
For additional information about adoption, click on the links below: