317:30-5-47. Reimbursement for inpatient hospital services
Reimbursement will be made for inpatient hospital services in the following manner:
(1) Covered inpatient services provided to eligible SoonerCare members admitted to in-state acute care and critical access hospitals will be reimbursed the lesser of the billed charges or the Diagnosis Related Group (DRG) amount. In addition to the billed charges or DRG payment, whichever is less, an outlier payment may be made to the hospital for very high cost stays. Additional outlier payment is applicable if either the amount billed by the hospital or DRG payment, whichever applies, is less than a threshold amount of the hospital cost. Each inpatient hospital claim is tested to determine whether the claim qualified for a cost outlier payment. Payment is equal to a percentage of the cost after the threshold is met.
(2) The lesser of the billed charges or DRG amount and outlier, if applicable, represent full reimbursement for all non-physician services provided during the inpatient stay. Payment includes but is not limited to:
(A) Laboratory services;
(B) Prosthetic devices, including pacemakers, lenses, artificial joints, cochlear implants, implantable pumps;
(C) Technical component on radiology services;
(D) Transportation, including ambulance, to and from another facility to receive specialized diagnostic and therapeutic services;
(E) Pre-admission diagnostic testing performed within seventy-two (72) hours of admission; and
(F) Organ transplants.
(3) Hospitals may submit a claim for payment only upon the final discharge of the patient or upon completion of a transfer of the patient to another hospital.
(4) Covered inpatient services provided to eligible members of the SoonerCare program, when treated in out-of-state hospitals will be reimbursed in the same manner as in-state hospitals. Refer to OAC 317:30-3-90 and 317:30-3-91.
(5) Cases which indicate transfer from one (1) acute care hospital to another will be monitored under a retrospective utilization review policy to help ensure that payment is not made for inappropriate transfers.
(6) The transferring hospital will be paid the lesser of the calculated transfer fee or the DRG base payment amount for a non-transfer.
(7) If the transferring or discharge hospital or unit is exempt from the DRG, that hospital or unit will be reimbursed according to the method of payment applicable to the particular facility or units.
(8) Covered inpatient services provided in out-of-state specialty hospitals may be reimbursed at a negotiated rate not to exceed one-hundred percent (100%) of the cost to provide the service. Negotiation of rates will only be allowed when the OHCA determines that the specialty hospital or specialty unit provides a unique (non-experimental) service required by SoonerCare members and the provider will not accept the DRG payment rate. Prior authorization is required.
(9) New providers entering the SoonerCare program will be assigned a peer group and will be reimbursed at the peer group base rate for the DRG payment methodology or the statewide median rate for per diem methods.
(10) All inpatient services are reimbursed per the methodology described in this Section and/or as approved under the Oklahoma Medicaid State Plan.
(11) For high-investment drugs, refer to OAC 317:30-5-47.6.