If a household member is exempt from Work Registration, they are automatically exempt from ABAWD work requirements. IMS and FACS updates the IMS and FACS coding based on the Work Registration coding in the SNAP Work Registration drop down box (F170).
FACS populates the ABAWD Work Requirement field (F172) with "Exempt from Work Registration" and ABAWD Reg Date (F175) with the date the Work Registration exemption begins.
You do not have to update the ABAWD coding unless a household member must register for Work Registration.
The coding of a household member's ABAWD status is initially completed in FACS.
To code a person’s ABAWD status, follow the steps below.
From an open case:
1. Navigate to the ABAWD tab in the Interview Notebook.
2. The field in the red box is the ABAWD Work Requirement field (F172).
3. The field in the red box is ABAWD Reg Date or ABAWD Status Date (F175).
4. Choose the appropriate ABAWD exemption or status type from the ABAWD Work Requirement drop down Box (F172).
5. Enter the appropriate date in the ABAWD Reg Date field (F175). You cannot use a future date in this field.
When a person exhausts their ABAWD eligibility, you terminate the SNAP benefit by either closing the case for a one person household or removing them from SNAP eligibility for a multiple person household.
To remove a person from SNAP eligibility, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Household tab in the Interview Notebook.
2. Use the scroll bar on the right to navigate to the person you need to disqualify.
3. Select O or “INCOME/RESOURCES ARE CONSIDERED IN BENEFIT COMPUTATION-INDIVIDUAL NOT INCLUDED” from Food Benefit Status dropdown (F25).
4. Select “ABLE BODIED WITHOUT DEPENEDENTS” from the Food Benefit Reason dropdown (F26).
5. Update the Effective Date (F27) to either the certification date for a new case or the date the person’s eligibility is exhausted. If it is a future date, choose a future date that allows the client appropriate notice.
6. Submit an appropriate action.