Skip to main content

Employment and Training Programs

A student may begin attending an institution of higher education as a result of his or her placement in an employment and training program through

  • the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014,

  • the OK SNAP Works program,

  • Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974 (the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program run by the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission), or

  • a state or local government-operated job training program.

Who is exempt?

The exemption applies when one of these programs place or assign a student to an institution of higher education or a student self-enrolls in a higher education institution.

To exempt a self-placed enrollee,

  1. the student must be in of these one of these employment and training programs when he or she self-enrolls;

  2. the program must have a component for enrollment in an institution of higher education; and

  3. the program must accept the placement.

Determining a student’s participation may be complicated because we are not familiar with these programs. Luckily for you, the client likely knows when they attend school because of one of these programs. When interviewing, ask the student. They should be able to tell you.

Back to Top