Qualified and Eligible Alien
Policy applies the term “qualified and eligible alien” to the following people.
Certain aliens qualify as both qualified and eligible.
- an asylee under Section 208 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA),
- a refugee per Section 207 of INA,
- an immigrant having his or her deportation withheld per Section 243(h) of the INA,
- a Cuban or Haitian entrant or parolee per Section 501(e) of the Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980 and INA 212(d)(5), and
- a severe trafficking victim or a child of a severely trafficked parent or caretaker (a victim has a letter of certification and a T visa; call 1-866-401-5510 to verify status).
All other aliens must show a qualifying immigration status and meet other eligibility criteria. The aliens must meet one criterion from each list—one from the qualified alien list and one from the eligible alien list—to qualify.
|Qualified alien||Eligible alien|