When must the household verify medical expenses?
Clients must verify medical expenses before certification and certification renewal, or do not allow the expense.
- At certification renewal, clients must verify medical expenses when expenses changed more than $25 since certification or the most recent renewal.
- When the expense amount did not change or changed less than $25, the client is only required to verify expenses when information provided is incomplete, inaccurate, inconsistent, or outdated.
Households are not required to report changes in medical expenses during the certification period.
- When the household voluntarily reports a change in medical expenses between renewal periods,
- Do not increase the household's medical expense deduction until the household verifies additional expenses.
- Decrease medical expenses based on client statement. The system will only decrease the client’s food benefits at mid-certification renewal.