Skip to main content

HUD and FmHA Rent / Utility Payments

As previously stated in the utility allowances and excluded income sections, payments made by HUD, Section 8, or FmHA on behalf of clients for utilities are excluded income.

You should give clients a utility allowance if they are still responsible for the payment and the utility check may not completely cover the utilities. 

If HUD, Section 8, or another entity is paying rent payments (or a portion thereof) to a landlord, that portion should not be counted as a shelter expense.  If the client is responsible for that portion, the client should be able to use this portion as a shelter expense. 

Back to Top