The summer LIHEAP program awards a onetime payment for
- generator fuel, or
- the purchase or repair of cooling equipment.
Households receive the funds during an open-enrollment period; it usually begins in July each year and lasts until the allocated funds run out.
The LIHEAP section preauthorizes households who meet certain criteria. These beneficiaries receive a LIHEAP payment without needing to apply.
The household may only be preauthorized for one LIHEAP component each federal fiscal year. For example, if the household is preauthorized for summer cooling, the household is not eligible for a winter heating preauthorization and vice versa.
- is uncertain whether DHS preauthorized them or
- needs you to determine whether DHS preauthorized the correct utility provider and account.
|Correcting pre-authorizations|| Is the preauthorization wrong?
When you go to the 105hq screen (type 105hq, Space bar, case number, and Enter in IMS), review the account holder's name, the supplier’s name and code, account number, and the action and reason codes.
Households whom LIHEAP did not preauthorize must apply for eligibility.
Processing Time Limits
60 calendar days from the application date
What does LIHEAP pay?
DHS approves the amount on the Appendix C-7-A.
- When paying the energy provider, the payment depends on the household’s income and household size.
- When paying to purchase or repair equipment, the payment is the amount spent. This amount cannot exceed $150 per the current Appendix C-7-A.