An agency error is caused by a DHS action (or failure to take action) created the over-issuance. You may need to establish an overpayment claim if AFS staff:
- Failed to take prompt action on a change reported by the household that resulted in an over-issuance
- Issued an incorrect benefit allotment
- Incorrectly issued or renewed food benefits to an ineligible household
- Incorrectly applied policy or procedure that resulted in an over-issuance or issuing benefits to an ineligible household
- Failed to reduce food benefits because the household's public assistance benefits changed
An agency error is also issued if the computer system incorrectly issued benefits to a household.
The scenarios above are only examples. Other mistakes made by DHS would be considered an agency error.
Note - You can incorrectly apply a policy or procedure by not taking in to account memos issued that update our interpretation of policy in lieu of an upcoming policy change.