Skip to main content

Assistance Payments

TANF, SSP, RRP cash assistance, and SSI are means-tested assistance payments. The recipients of these benefits qualify as predetermined eligible. These payments do not count toward the eligibility of a child who qualifies as predetermined eligible. These payments, however, are countable income for any child who shares a household with a recipient and who does not qualify as predetermined eligible.

Countable Amount

Use the gross monthly payment amount. You may exclude the amount used to repay an overpayment unless the client is repaying the funds due to an intentional program violation.

When a child spends part of the month in two separate households and receives one of these benefits, count only the portion of the income received by the household applying for or receiving Child Care. For SSI, this rule conflicts with current SNAP rule. SNAP counts SSI as income to the person it is currently owed.



Use the IMS EB, CM, and CMM. EB shows the gross amount of SSP in B26. On CMM, field F24 shows "C" for "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families." Field 25 shows "A." You must also confirm the TANF payee is seeking care.


Use the IMS EB, CM, or CMM screens. EB shows the gross amount of SSP in B26. On the CMM, field F24 shows "A" for "State Supplemental Payment to Aged," "B" for "State Supplemental Payment to Blind," or "D" for "State Supplemental Payment to Disabled." Field 25 shows "A" for "Added."


Check the IMS SDX screen or review the client's award letter. When the client does not have an award letter and SDX is not showing SSI income, you may use TPQYC to ask Social Security to update the SDX screen. You may also call Social Security to confirm the child's SSI income. You may use this website to find the contact number for the client's Social Security office.


To confirm a child is in the RRP, obtain a copy of the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) certification or eligibility letter, and call the verification number 1-866-401-5510 to determine the validity of ORR issued letters.

FACS Coding

Enter the SSI income in F88.

Select "Other counted unearned income" in the F99 dropdown box, and enter the gross monthly pay amount in F98 field for RRP, SSP, or TANF income.

Back to Top