The IRS 1095-B form documents the persons and months in 2020 where they had qualifying insurance coverage. Please click on the IRS website links in the upper right-hand corner of this webpage for more information about the 1095-B and the health insurance mandate.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 1095-B Tax Information Form
- An IRS 1095-B form will be mailed to all SoonerCare or Insure Oklahoma IP members who were listed as the case head on their application for calendar year 2020. The 1095-B form will include all other members listed on that case.
- If you and everyone listed on your 1095-B form will not file or will not be claimed as a dependent on a 2020 federal tax return, then you may ignore the IRS 1095-B form.
- Consult with your tax preparer if you have questions or need tax advice. Please do not call or contact SoonerCare or Insure Oklahoma as we cannot answer any tax questions or give any tax advice.
1095-B Form FAQs
All 1095-B forms will be mailed by January 31, 2021, in accordance with the latest IRS notice.
The 1095-B form is not required to file your taxes. Some tax filers may not receive their 1095-B form by the time they are ready to file their 2020 federal tax return. While the information on this form may assist in preparing a return, it is not required. Individual taxpayers should file their returns as they normally would. Like last year, taxpayers can prepare and file their returns using other information about their health insurance. You should not attach the 1095-B form to your tax return.
OHCA will mail 1095-B forms to only those SoonerCare and Insure Oklahoma IP members who had insurance coverage types that meet the definition of Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) as described in the Affordable Care Act (ACA). All of the following insurance coverage types - SoonerCare Choice, SoonerCare Traditional or Insure Oklahoma (IP or ESI), meet MEC requirements.
Not all of the insurance coverage types or services alone provided by OHCA meet MEC requirements. People who only had any of the coverage types listed below will not receive a 1095-B form as these coverage types do not meet the ACA’s definition of MEC:
- Soon-To-Be Sooners (STBS or STBS-M)
- SoonerPlan (family planning program)
- Treatment of emergency medical conditions
- Tuberculosis-related services
- Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (DMHSAS)
There will be a way for SoonerCare or Insure Oklahoma case head members to download a PDF copy of their 1095-B form if they did not receive their form in the mail. We will place a PDF copy in your MySoonerCare account once your 1095-B form has been created. You may receive your form sometime in February. Visit www.mysoonercare.org to manage your account.
If OKDHS made your SoonerCare eligibility determination, then you will not have a mysoonercare.org account. You may instead call the OKDHS Live! telephone number at 405-487-LIVE (5483) or if you are outside the metro OKC area call toll-free 800-880-8003 for instructions on how to get your 1095-B replacement copy.
For those who have Insure Oklahoma - Employer Sponsored Insurance (ESI), your insurance carrier (Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Coventry, etc.) is responsible for your 1095-B form and not OHCA. Please check with your insurance carrier or your employer regarding questions about your 1095-B form.
1095-B Confidentiality and personal identity regulations
Please be aware that the federal Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) prevents OHCA employees or their contracted staff to talk to anyone other than the case head regarding anything on a SoonerCare or Insure Oklahoma member’s case.
If you were not the case head on the day the 1095-B was generated, then you were not mailed a 1095-B form.