OKC Traffic Advisory 6-14-2021
DRIVE ERROR FREE: DRIVE ERROR FREE: Crossover collisions are some of the most violent crashes often resulting in death. Since Oklahoma began installing cable barrier in 2001, fatalities have decreased. The best way to avoid this type of error is to stay focused on the lane ahead. #safetyclick
The projects below are weather permitting:
***I-44 ramps close, lanes narrow at I-235 tonight***
The following closures will occur on eastbound I-44 between Western Ave. (mm 126) and Kelley Ave. (mm 128B) from 7 p.m. Monday up to 3 a.m. Wednesday in preparation for a lane shift for ongoing bridge work:
- The eastbound I-44 on-ramp from Classen will be closed;
- The eastbound I-44 on-ramp from Western Ave. will be closed:
- The eastbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235 will be intermittently closed, however, access will remain open to the northbound I-235/US-77/N. 63rd St. flyover ramp; and
- Eastbound and westbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction.
When ramps and lanes reopen in the overnight hours, motorists should expect the eastbound I-44 lanes to be shifted to the north by Tuesday morning and to expect congestion in the delays as traffic adjusts. Motorists are advised to use their Off Broadway alternate routes.
I-235/I-44 interchange work continues through 2021; expect lane shifts and intermittent ramp closures
Drivers should be alert to the following traffic impacts in the I-235/US-77 construction zone at I-44 for ongoing reconstruction and widening that continues through 2021:
- Motorists should be alert to changing conditions including lane shifts, narrowed lanes and workers along northbound and southbound I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St. and along eastbound and westbound I-44 between Western Ave. (mm 126) and Kelley Ave. (mm 128B). Both I-235 and I-44 will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction during peak commute hours, but may narrow to one lane some nights and weekends.
- Northbound I-235/US-77 motorists have improved access to N. 63rd St. with the recent shift of the exit ramp to its permanent configuration. The dedicated ramp lane is separate from northbound I-235/US-77 traffic, eliminating conflict points. Drivers will need to use caution in the area as these ramp lanes will merge into one lane approaching the N. 63rd St. traffic signal through early fall 2021.
- Eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77 traffic now has direct access to the N. 63rd St. exit lane from the far right lane of the new flyover ramp.
- Eastbound I-44 traffic planning to exit to southbound I-235/US-77, northbound I-235/US-77 or to southbound Lincoln Blvd. must stay in the far right lane starting at Western Ave. (mm 126). Additionally, eastbound and westbound I-44 has limited merge areas at ramps in the work zone. Motorists should be prepared to stop and yield when entering I-44 in these areas.
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp traffic will no longer merge with northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. traffic to access N. 63rd St., but will stay in the right off-ramp lane.
- Drivers are advised to use extra caution when merging onto southbound I-235/US-77 from N. 63rd St. as this on-ramp is shifted and there is a limited merge area.
- Drivers should plan ahead and use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Martin Luther King Ave. to avoid the area.
I-44 lanes narrow at I-40 tonight, this week
Eastbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane between I-40 (mm 120) and S.W. 74th St. (mm 114) from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly from Monday through Thursday morning for ongoing bridge and pavement rehabilitation.
I-44 narrows south of I-40; I-44 ramps, lanes, city streets closed through 2021
***Use alternate route, heavy congestion expected***
Drivers can expect reduced speed limits and the following lane and ramp closures on I-44 and city streets as part of ongoing bridge and pavement rehabilitation between I-40 (mm 120) and S.W. 74th St. (mm 114) that continues through 2021:
- S.W. 29th St. will be narrowed to one lane at I-44, and no left turns from the I-44 off-ramps (mm 118) to S.W. 29th St. or left turns from S.W. 29th St. to the I-44 on-ramps will be permitted nightly through summer 2021.
- Drivers, including Will Rogers World Airport traffic, can expect significant delays and should plan extra travel time or use an alternate route, such as SH-4 or the John Kilpatrick Turnpike (toll road) to the west.
I-40 ramp to Council Rd. closed for resurfacing by city
Drivers can expect the following lane closures at the I-40 ramps at Council Rd. (mm 142) from 7 a.m. Monday through Friday for an ongoing City of Oklahoma City resurfacing project:
- I-40 off-ramp to southbound Council Rd. will be closed;
- The westbound I-40 on-ramp from northbound Council Rd. traffic will be closed;
- Council Rd. will be narrowed to one lane in each direction at I-40. Council Rd. traffic will be able to go south and enter westbound I-40.
For more information, contact the City of Oklahoma City at 405-297-3334.
I-40 narrows to one lane at Frisco Rd. in Yukon through Friday
Eastbound I-40 will be narrowed to one lane at Frisco Rd. (east of Cimarron Rd., mm 132) in Yukon from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly through Friday morning for ongoing bridge work through July.
I-40 narrowed to two lanes at Garth Brooks Blvd. in Yukon; Frisco Rd. closed at I-40 in Yukon through summer 2021
I-40 is narrowed to two lanes in each direction between Garth Brooks Blvd. (mm 136) and N. Cimarron Rd. (mm 132) in Yukon for ongoing interchange construction at Frisco Rd. through summer 2021. Motorists are advised to expect delays and lane shifts in the work zone. Other closures include:
- Frisco Rd. over I-40 is closed between 10th St. and Vandament Ave. through summer 2021.
- N.W. 23rd St. will be closed to through traffic from Richland Rd. and Frisco Rd. through summer 2021.
- While Vandament Ave. is expected to remain open near I-40 during construction, motorists are advised to use caution and to watch for construction trucks and equipment moving in the area.
I-35 ramp at S.E. 15th St. closed, I-235 and I-35 narrowed at I-40/Dallas Jct. through summer 2021
***Use alternate route, heavy congestion expected***
Drivers can expect the following I-35 and I-235 ramp and lane closures between I-40 at the I-35 Dallas junction and S.E. 15th St. (mm 125D) for a bridge rehabilitation project over the Stillwater Central Railroad, just south of the Oklahoma River, that continues through summer 2021:
- The southbound I-35 off-ramp to S.E. 15th St. (mm 125D) is closed;
- The southbound I-235 ramp to I-35 is narrowed to one lane at I-40 (mm 1C); and
- Southbound I-35 is narrowed to two lanes between the I-40/I-35/I-235 Dallas junction (mm 126) and S.E. 15th St. (mm 125D) through summer 2021;
- Drivers should be aware that southbound I-35 has recently shifted within the work zone between the I-40/I-35/I-235 Dallas junction (mm 126) and S.E. 15th St. (mm 125D).
- ***Southbound I-35 traffic can expect SIGNIFICANT delays and should use an alternate route if possible. Through traffic and commercial traffic seeking to avoid the central Oklahoma City area should consider using US-81 to the west or the Kickapoo Turnpike (toll road) between I-44/Turner Turnpike and I-40/I-240 to the east.
Ongoing Construction Projects:
I-40 narrowed at Sunnylane Rd. in Del City through 2023
Eastbound and westbound I-40 is narrowed to two lanes between Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) for bridge reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. Other traffic impacts include:
- The eastbound I-40 on-ramp from S.E. 15th St. (mm 155B) and off-ramp to Sooner Rd. (mm 156B) are closed through June for ongoing bridge reconstruction. Drivers may exit at Sunnylane Rd. to access S.E. 15th St. during this closure. To access eastbound I-40, motorists may use Scott St. (mm 154) or Sooner Rd. (mm 156A).
- There are limited merge areas at the I-40 and Sunnylane Rd., S.E. 15th and Sooner Rd. on-ramps within the work zone. Motorists are advised to be extra vigilant and use caution at ramps before merging.
- Eastbound traffic on the northern I-40 service road will be closed between S.E. 15th St. and Hudiburg Dr. from June 15 through winter 2021.
- The westbound I-40 service road will be closed between the westbound I-40 off-ramp to Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Ray Trent Park in Del City as part of ongoing I-40 bridge reconstruction. The closure will remain in place on weekdays and the road will be intermittently closed during weekends.
- Eastbound and westbound S.E. 15th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the intersection with Vickie Dr./Tinker Diagonal through winter 2022 with temporary traffic signals installed.
- The westbound S.E. 15th St. left turn onto the I-40 service road will be closed through fall 2021.
- Sooner Rd. is intermittently narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-40 through spring 2022. Motorists may use the service roads for a detour during the closure.
- Motorists are advised to locate an alternate route such as I-240 and US-62/N.E. 23rd St. or plan extra travel time and be prepared for delays in the area.
I-35 ramps closed at Robinson St. in Norman through summer 2021
Drivers can expect the following I-35 ramp closures at Robinson St. in Norman through summer 2021 as part of an intersection modification project by the City of Norman. For more information, contact the City of Norman at 405-366-5406.
- The southbound I-35 on-ramp from Robinson St. is closed. Drivers are detoured on Interstate Dr. to Main St. to access I-35.
- The southbound I-35 off-ramp to eastbound Robinson St. (Exit 110B) is closed. The southbound I-35 off-ramp to westbound Robinson St. will remain open.
US-77/Broadway narrowed, turn lane closed at 15th St. in Edmond through summer 2021
Northbound and southbound US-77/Broadway is intermittently narrowed and median turnarounds are closed between 15th St. and Ninth St. in Edmond through summer 2021 for utility work by the City of Edmond. Use caution in the area. For more information, call the City of Edmond at 405-216-7770.
US-62/N.E. 23rd St. narrowed, lanes shifted at Sooner Rd. through summer 2021
US-62/N.E. 23rd St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction between Sooner Rd. and Bartell Rd. through summer 2021 for bridge rehabilitation at the North Canadian River. Motorists should be alert to a significant traffic shift on eastbound and westbound US-62/N.E. 23rd St. in this area and expect congestion and delays in the area.
Sooner Rd. narrowed to one lane near I-240 through summer 2021
Northbound and southbound Sooner Rd. is narrowed to one lane in each direction between S.E. 70th St. and S.E. 80th St. for a bridge rehabilitation project at I-240. Drivers can expect significant lane shifts in this work zone through summer 2021.
I-40 access at Tinker Air Force Bases changes through late 2021
The Tinker Gate entrance to Tinker Air Force Base at I-40 and Air Depot Blvd. is closed through late 2021 for a gate reconstruction project by the U.S. Dept. of Defense. Although the I-40 on- and off-ramps at Air Depot Blvd. (mm 157B) will remain open, Tinker traffic is advised to exit I-40 at the Eaker Gate (mm 157C) to enter the base. For more information, visit https://www.tinker.af.mil/Home/Construction-Zone/.
US-81/I-40 Business/SH-66 bridge narrowed, lanes shifted at S.E. 22nd St. in El Reno through summer 2021
Northbound and southbound US-81/I-40 Business/SH-66 traffic is shifted between S.E. 22nd St. and Elm St. in El Reno to a detour just to the east of the bridge through summer 2021 as part of an ongoing bridge replacement project. The detour is one lane in each direction and wide loads are restricted. Use extra caution in the detour, especially at the temporary railroad crossing near Elm St., which will have lights and signs to warn drivers.
US-81 narrows at North Canadian River north of El Reno through spring 2022
Northbound and southbound US-81 is narrowed to one lane in each direction between Jones Rd. N.E. and Britton Rd. N.E. north of El Reno for bridge rehabilitation over the North Canadian River through spring 2022. Motorists are advised to expect delays and plan for extra travel time in the area.