OKC Traffic Advisory 10-15-2021
The projects below are weather permitting:
I-44 ramp closes at SH-152/Airport Rd. Friday night
The following I-44 ramp and lane closures will occur:
- The westbound I-44 off-ramp to SH-152/Airport Rd. (mm 116B) will be closed between 7 p.m. Friday and 1 a.m. Saturday and will be intermittently closed from 1 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Motorists traveling to Will Rogers World Airport must find an alternate route;
- The westbound I-44 on-ramp from S.W. 15th St. will be closed from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday;
- Eastbound I-44 (runs north) will be narrowed to one lane between SH-152/Airport Rd. (mm 116B) and S.W. 29th St. (mm 118) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and again from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
I-44 narrowed south of I-40 through 2021
***Use alternate route, heavy congestion expected***
Drivers can expect reduced speed limits and the following lane and ramp closures on I-44 and city streets as part of ongoing bridge and pavement rehabilitation between I-40 (mm 120) and S.W. 74th St. (mm 114) that continues through 2021:
- The eastbound I-44 (runs north) on-ramp from S.W. 15th St. is closed through late October for bridge rehabilitation work at the Oklahoma River. Drivers must use an alternate route, such as S.W. 29th St. or N.W. 10th St. to access the interstate.
- Drivers, including Will Rogers World Airport traffic, can expect significant delays and should plan extra travel time or use an alternate route, such as SH-4 or the John Kilpatrick Turnpike (toll road) to the west.
***This work zone is adjacent to the project below***
SH-152/Airport Rd. narrowed near I-44 through 2021
Westbound SH-152/Airport Rd. is narrowed to one lane between I-44 and MacArthur Blvd. through 2021 for bridge work as part of a widening, resurfacing and bridge rehabilitation project that will continue through summer 2022. Drivers, including Will Rogers World Airport traffic, can expect significant delays and should plan extra travel time.
I-235 ramp closes at N. 23rd St./Lincoln Blvd. narrows Sunday morning
The following closures will take place between 7:15 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. Sunday as part of a City of Oklahoma City running event:
- The southbound I-235 off-ramp and northbound I-235 on-ramp at N. 23rd St. (mm 2B) will be closed;
- Southbound Lincoln Blvd. will be narrowed to one lane between N.E. 23rd St. and N.E. 4th St.
I-35 ramp at SH-9 West closes Sunday night
The southbound I-35 off-ramp to SH-9 West (mm 106) will be closed from 8 p.m. Sunday to 4 a.m. Monday for surface repairs.
I-40 ramp closes, lanes narrow at Scott St. Monday morning through Tuesday afternoon
The eastbound I-40 on-ramp from Scott Street will be closed, and eastbound I-40 will be narrowed to one lane between Scott St. (mm 154) and S.E. 15th St. (mm 155B) from 5:30 a.m. Monday to 1 p.m. Tuesday for resurfacing.
I-40 narrowed at Sunnylane Rd. in Del City through 2023
East and westbound I-40 is narrowed to two lanes between Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) for bridge reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. Other traffic impacts include:
- Westbound I-40 on-ramp from Hudiburg Dr. is closed through winter 2022.
- Limited merge areas at the I-40 and Sunnylane Rd., S.E. 15th and Sooner Rd. on-ramps within the work zone. Motorists should be extra vigilant and use caution at ramps before merging.
- Eastbound traffic on the northern I-40 service road will be closed between S.E. 15th St. and Hudiburg Dr. through winter 2021.
- East and westbound S.E. 15th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the intersection with Vickie Dr./Tinker Diagonal with no left turns allowed to the eastbound I-40 Service Rd. through winter 2022 with temporary traffic signals installed.
- The westbound S.E. 15th St. left turn onto the I-40 service road will be closed through fall 2021.
- N. Vickie Dr. is closed at S.E. 15th St. near I-40 through November. Drivers can still access S.E. 15h St. from Howard Dr.
- Sooner Rd. is intermittently narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-40 through spring 2022. Motorists may use the service roads for a detour during the closure.
- Motorists are advised to locate an alternate route such as I-240 and US-62/N.E. 23rd St. or plan extra travel time and be prepared for delays in the area.
I-44 narrows at M.L. King Ave. Monday morning
The westbound I-44 right lane will be closed at M.L. King Ave. (mm 129) from 9 a.m. to noon Monday for guardrail repairs.
Oklahoma Turnpike Authority
The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority projects below are weather permitting:
John Kilpatrick Turnpike narrows at toll plazas through fall 2021
Drivers can expect various intermittent lane closures on east and westbound John Kilpatrick Turnpike at the toll plazas near Western Ave., Britton Rd. and Morgan Rd. daily through late fall 2021 for lane striping, toll booth demolition and pavement rehabilitation.
Ongoing Highway Construction Projects
I-235/I-44 interchange work continues through 2021; expect lane shifts and intermittent ramp closures
Motorists should be alert to the following traffic impacts in the I-235/US-77 construction zone at I-44 for ongoing reconstruction and widening that continues through 2021:
- Motorists should be alert to changing conditions including lane shifts, narrowed lanes and workers along north and southbound I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St. and along east and westbound I-44 between Western Ave. (mm 126) and Kelley Ave. (mm 128B). Both I-235 and I-44 will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction during peak commute hours, but may narrow to one lane some nights and weekends.
- Northbound I-235/US-77 motorists have improved access to N. 63rd St. with the shift of the exit ramp to its permanent configuration. The dedicated ramp lane is separate from northbound I-235/US-77 traffic, eliminating conflict points. Drivers will need to use caution in the area as these ramp lanes will merge into one lane approaching the N. 63rd St. traffic signal through early fall 2021.
- Eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77 traffic now has direct access to the N. 63rd St. exit lane from the far right lane of the new northbound flyover ramp.
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp traffic will no longer merge with northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. traffic to access N. 63rd St., but will stay in the right off-ramp lane.
- Drivers are advised to use extra caution when merging onto southbound I-235/US-77 from N. 63rd St. as this on-ramp is shifted and there is a limited merge area.
- Drivers should plan ahead and use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, N. Lincoln Blvd. and Martin Luther King Ave. to avoid the area.
Lincoln Blvd. ramp, lanes at I-44 intermittently narrowed through fall 2021
The northbound Lincoln Blvd. off-ramp to westbound I-44 will be intermittently narrowed to one lane and Lincoln Blvd. will be intermittently narrowed to one lane in each direction between I-44 and N.E. 50th St. through late fall 2021 for bridge maintenance. Motorists can expect congestion and delays in this area and should consider an alternate route.
I-35 ramp detoured at Interstate Dr. near Robinson St. in Norman through fall 2021
The I-35 on- and off-ramps at Robinson St. (mm 110A-B) in Norman are open; however southbound I-35 traffic exiting to westbound Robinson St. (mm 110A) is detoured from Interstate Dr. to Pheasant Run Rd. and Crossroads Blvd. back to Robinson St. through fall 2021 as part of an intersection modification project by the City of Norman. For more information, contact the City of Norman at 405-366-5406.
US-77/Second St. narrowed at Bryant Ave. in Edmond through summer 2022
Drivers can expect various lane closures on US-77/Second St. at Bryant Ave. in Edmond through summer 2022 for an intersection modification project by the City of Edmond. For more information, contact the City of Edmond at 405-348-8830.
US-77/Broadway narrowed, turn lane closed at 15th St. in Edmond through fall 2021
Northbound and southbound US-77/Broadway is intermittently narrowed and median turnarounds are closed between 15th St. and Ninth St. in Edmond through fall 2021 for utility work by the City of Edmond. Use caution in the area. For more information, contact the City of Edmond at 405-348-8830.
SH-66 intermittently narrows near Midwest Blvd. in Edmond
Westbound SH-66/Second St. will be intermittently narrowed to one lane between Douglas Blvd. and Midwest Blvd. in Edmond for ongoing utility work by the City of Edmond. For more information, contact the City of Edmond at 405-348-8830. Use caution in the area.
I-40 access at Tinker Air Force Bases changes through late 2021
The Tinker Gate entrance to Tinker Air Force Base at I-40 and Air Depot Blvd. is closed through late 2021 for a gate reconstruction project by the U.S. Dept. of Defense. Although the I-40 on- and off-ramps at Air Depot Blvd. (mm 157B) will remain open, Tinker traffic is advised to exit I-40 at the Eaker Gate (mm 157C) to enter the base. For more information, visit https://www.tinker.af.mil/Home/Construction-Zone/.
US-81 narrows at North Canadian River north of El Reno through spring 2022
Northbound and southbound US-81 is narrowed to one lane in each direction between Jones Rd. N.E. and Britton Rd. N.E. north of El Reno for bridge rehabilitation over the North Canadian River through spring 2022. Motorists are advised to expect delays and plan for extra travel time in the area.
Garth Brooks Blvd. narrows at Vandament Ave. in Yukon through winter 2022
Northbound Garth Brooks Blvd. will be narrowed to one lane between Vandament Ave. and SH-66/Main St. in Yukon from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily through late winter 2022 for a city trails project in partnership with the City of Yukon. Work may intermittently affect driveways in the area. Motorists are advised to plan ahead for delays and congestion in the area.
SH-9 work ongoing at 72nd St. S.E. in Norman through early 2023
SH-9 motorists should be alert to an adjacent work zone between 72nd St. S.E. and 108th St. S.E. in Norman for a widening project through early 2023. While there are no immediate lane closures, motorists are advised to be aware of workers in the area and of trucks entering and exiting the work zone.
US-77 lanes shifted, speed limit reduced near Lexington through 2021
Drivers can expect lane shifts and a reduced speed limit on north and southbound US-77 between SH-39 in Lexington and Slaughterville Rd. through 2021 for pavement reconstruction and widening.