This view of eastbound I-40 at S.E. 15thSt.in Del City is familiar to thousands of motorists. However, a 2.5-year-longproject to reconstruct six bridges at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. was awarded in June 2020 and work began in late summer 2020.
TRAFFIC ALERT: I-40 lane, ramp closures in Del City Monday, Aug. 9; expect significant westbound I-40 lane shift Tuesday morning
Westbound I-40 ramp and lane closures are scheduled Monday night to shift lanes to the south through fall 2022 as part of ongoing bridge reconstruction. These changes will significantly impact travel, especially during peak travel times. Motorists are strongly encouraged to use an alternate route, such as I-240 or US-62/N.E. 23rd St.
- Westbound I-40 will be narrowed to one lane between Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) and Sunnlyane Rd. (mm 155A) from 8 p.m. Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday for the westbound I-40 lane shift to the south through fall 2022.
- All westbound I-40 ramps at Sooner Rd., S.E. 15th St. and Sunnylane Rd. will be closed for a short period overnight Monday while lanes are shifted south to the new, temporary configuration.
- The westbound I-40 on-ramp from Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) will remain closed through winter 2022.
- When westbound I-40 reopens to two lanes Tuesday morning, motorists are advised to expect congestion and delays as traffic adjusts to the new lane configuration.
- The following eastbound I-40 on-ramps are closed through Tuesday morning for ongoing surface repairs:
- Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A)
- S.E. 15th St. (mm 156B)
- Sooner Rd. (mm 156A)
- Eastbound I-40 will remain narrowed to one lane between Scott St. (mm 154) and S.E. 15th St. (mm 156B) through Tuesday for ongoing repairs. Expect significant delays in the corridor.
I-40 narrowed at Sunnylane Rd. in Del City through 2023
Eastbound and westbound I-40 is narrowed to two lanes between Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) for bridge reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. Other traffic impacts include:
- There are limited merge areas at the I-40 and Sunnylane Rd., S.E. 15th and Sooner Rd. on-ramps within the work zone. Motorists are advised to be extra vigilant and use caution at ramps before merging.
- Eastbound traffic on the northern I-40 service road will be closed between S.E. 15th St. and Hudiburg Dr. from June 15 through winter 2021.
- Eastbound and westbound S.E. 15th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the intersection with Vickie Dr./Tinker Diagonal through winter 2022 with temporary traffic signals installed.
- The westbound S.E. 15th St. left turn onto the I-40 service road will be closed through fall 2021.
- Sooner Rd. is intermittently narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-40 through spring 2022. Motorists may use the service roads for a detour during the closure.
- Motorists are advised to locate an alternate route such as I-240 and US-62/N.E. 23rd St. or plan extra travel time and be prepared for delays in the area.
This summer 2020 aerial view shows I-40 at CrutchoCreek and S.E. 15th St. in Del City after a resurfacing project done to help limit the number of emergency lane closures ahead of construction.
About the I-40 Bridge Reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd.
- Six new bridges and approaches are planned on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. in Del City.
- This estimated nearly $80 million contract was awarded to Manhattan Road and Bridge Co. of Tulsa in June 2020 by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.
- The project is estimated to take nearly 2.5 years to complete and traffic will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Work began in late summer 2020.
- The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction and built taller to bring them to modern bridge standards.
- This project addresses the worst known structurally deficient bridges on the state system in the Oklahoma City metro area. They have monopolized ODOT’s Oklahoma City metro maintenance resources due to poor conditions and ongoing significant repair needs.
- Nearly 90,000 vehicles use this area daily, on average, according to 2018 traffic data.
About the I-40 Resurfacing between I-35 and Sooner Rd.
- Eastbound and westbound I-40was resurfaced between I-35/Fort Smith Junction (mm 153) and Sooner Rd.(mm 156A) this spring ahead of a six-bridge reconstruction project in Del City.
- This project will help prepare the surface for heavy traffic to limit the amount of potential additional closures once the bridge reconstruction work starts in summer 2020.
- This $1.4 million resurfacing contract was awarded inOctober 2019by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission to T.J. Campbell Construction Company.
- Workstarted March 29 and completed ahead of schedule in late April 2020.
Stay in Contact
- Follow the latest traffic advisories on www.odot.orgor sign up there for advisories to come direct to your email.
- Check @OKDOT on Facebook and Twitter for updates.