I-40Resurfacing and Bridge Reconstruction
at CrutchoCreek, S.E. 15th St., Sooner Rd. in Del City
This view of eastbound I-40 at S.E. 15thSt.in Del City is familiar to thousands of motorists. However, a 2.5-year-longproject to reconstruct six bridges at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. was awarded in June 2020 and work began in late summer 2020.
TRAFFIC ALERT: I-40 ramps close at Sunnylane Rd., S.E. 15th St. in Del City overnight Sunday, April 11
The eastbound I-40 on-ramp from Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and the eastbound I-40 off-ramp to S.E. 15th St. (mm 155B) will be closed overnight Sunday through May as part of ongoing bridge reconstruction. Drivers should be alert to temporary lane closures between 2-5 a.m. Monday while crews apply temporary pavement striping in preparation for the ramp closures.
Drivers may exit at Sunnylane Rd. to access S.E. 15th St. during this closure. To access eastbound I-40, motorists may use Scott St. (mm 154) or Sooner Rd. (mm 156A).
Motorists should be alert to these changes during Monday morning's peak commute hours and should expect congestion and delays in the area as traffic adjusts to this temporary configuration.
I-40 narrowed at Sunnylane Rd. in Del City through 2023
Eastbound and westbound I-40 is narrowed to two lanes between Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156B) for bridge reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. Other traffic impacts include:
- There are limited merge areas at the I-40 and Sunnylane Rd., S.E. 15th and Sooner Rd. on-ramps within the work zone Motorists are advised to be extra vigilant and use caution at ramps before merging.
- The eastbound I-40 Service Rd. will be narrowed to one lane between S.E. 15th St. and Hudiburg Dr. through spring 2021.
- Eastbound and westbound S.E. 15th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the intersection with Vickie Dr./Tinker Diagonal through spring 2021 with temporary traffic signals being installed.
- The westbound S.E. 15th St. left turn onto the I-40 service road will be closed through spring.
- The eastbound lane of the northern I-40 service road is closed at S.W. 15th St. through spring 2021.
- Sooner Rd. is narrowed to one lane in each direction under I-40 through spring 2021. Motorists may use the service roads for a detour during the closure.
- Motorists are advised to locate an alternate route such as I-240 and US-62/N.E. 23rd St. or plan extra travel time and be prepared for delays in the area.
This summer 2020 aerial view shows I-40 at CrutchoCreek and S.E. 15th St. in Del City after a resurfacing project done to help limit the number of emergency lane closures ahead of construction.
About the I-40 Bridge Reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd.
- Six new bridges and approaches are planned on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. in Del City.
- This estimated nearly $80 million contract was awarded to Manhattan Road and Bridge Co. of Tulsa in June 2020 by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.
- The project is estimated to take nearly 2.5 years to complete and traffic will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Work began in late summer 2020.
- The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction and built taller to bring them to modern bridge standards.
- This project addresses the worst known structurally deficient bridges on the state system in the Oklahoma City metro area. They have monopolized ODOT’s Oklahoma City metro maintenance resources due to poor conditions and ongoing significant repair needs.
- Nearly 90,000 vehicles use this area daily, on average, according to 2018 traffic data.
About the I-40 Resurfacing between I-35 and Sooner Rd.
- Eastbound and westbound I-40was resurfaced between I-35/Fort Smith Junction (mm 153) and Sooner Rd.(mm 156A) this spring ahead of a six-bridge reconstruction project in Del City.
- This project will help prepare the surface for heavy traffic to limit the amount of potential additional closures once the bridge reconstruction work starts in summer 2020.
- This $1.4 million resurfacing contract was awarded inOctober 2019by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission to T.J. Campbell Construction Company.
- Workstarted March 29 and completed ahead of schedule in late April 2020.
Stay in Contact
- Follow the latest traffic advisories on www.odot.orgor sign up there for advisories to come direct to your email.
- Check @OKDOT on Facebook and Twitter for updates.