I-40Resurfacing and Bridge Reconstruction
at CrutchoCreek, S.E. 15th St., Sooner Rd. in Del City
This view of eastbound I-40 at S.E. 15thSt.in Del City is familiar to thousands of motorists, but it soon will start to change. A 2.5-year-longproject to reconstruct six bridges at CrutchoCreek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. was awarded in June 2020 and work is expected to start by late summer 2020.
I-40 Bridge Construction Traffic Impact in Del City through 2023
Eastbound I-40 will be narrowed to two lanes between Sunnylane Rd. (mm 155A) and Hudiburg Dr. (mm 156A) from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily as work begins on multiple bridge reconstructions at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. Other traffic impacts include:
- Eastbound I-40 will be narrowed to one lane from 8 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday and continuing nightly through Friday;
- The eastbound I-40 Service Rd. will be narrowed to one lane between S.E. 15th St. and Hudiburg Dr. through spring 2021;
- Sooner Rd. will narrow to one lane in each direction under I-40 between the service roads continuing through spring 2021, including a short-term full closure by mid-September. Motorists may use the service roads for a detour during the closure.
- Eastbound and westbound S.E. 15th St. is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the intersection with Vickie Dr./Tinker Diagonal until 6 p.m. Wednesday and from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily through Friday while temporary traffic signals are installed. Additionally, northbound and southbound Vickie Dr. turn lanes are closed at S.E. 15th St., however, motorists still will be allowed to make left turns after yielding at the intersection.
- Motorists are advised to locate an alternate route such as I-240 and US-62/N.E. 23rd St. or plan extra travel time and be prepared for delays in the area.
This summer 2020 aerial view shows I-40at CrutchoCreek and S.E. 15thSt. in Del City after a resurfacing project done to help limit the number of emergency lane closures ahead of construction.
About the I-40 Bridge Reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd.
- Six new bridges and approaches are planned on eastbound and westbound I-40at CrutchoCreek, S.E. 15thSt. and Sooner Rd. in Del City.
- This estimated nearly $80millioncontract was awarded to Manhattan Road and Bridge Co. of Tulsa in June 2020 by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.
- The project is estimated to take nearly 2.5 years to complete and traffic will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Work is expected to begin in late summer 2020.
- The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction and built taller to bring them to modern bridge standards.
- This project addresses the worst known structurally deficient bridges on the state system in the Oklahoma City metro area.They havemonopolizedODOT’s Oklahoma City metro maintenance resources due to poor conditions and ongoing significant repair needs.
- Nearly 90,000vehicles use this area daily, on average, according to 2018 traffic data.
About the I-40 Resurfacing between I-35 and Sooner Rd.
- Eastbound and westbound I-40was resurfaced between I-35/Fort Smith Junction (mm 153) and Sooner Rd.(mm 156A) this spring ahead of a six-bridge reconstruction project in Del City.
- This project will help prepare the surface for heavy traffic to limit the amount of potential additional closures once the bridge reconstruction work starts in summer 2020.
- This $1.4 million resurfacing contract was awarded inOctober 2019by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission to T.J. Campbell Construction Company.
- Workstarted March 29 and completed ahead of schedule in late April 2020.
Stay in Contact
- Follow the latest traffic advisories on www.odot.orgor sign up there for advisories to come direct to your email.
- Check @OKDOT on Facebook and Twitter for updates.