I-235/US-77 and I-44
This was the view of the I-235/US-77 and I-44interchange in early March 2020and it will continue to change dramatically as reconstruction continues through fall 2021 to widen I-235/US-77 to six lanes at I-44.
I-44 ramps to close, lanes narrow at I-235 Wednesday night; I-44 lanes shifting to new configuration by Saturday evening
The following closures will impact the I-235/I-44 interchange from 10 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 8, to 6 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, in order to shift westbound I-44 lanes to the south. This shift will make room for ongoing construction to continue for new I-235 bridges over I-44. Motorists should plan ahead to use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-44, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, M.L. King Ave., N. Lincoln Blvd. during the closures and avoid the area.
The closures include:
- Northbound Lincoln Blvd. off-ramp to westbound I-44 will be closed:
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp to northbound I-235/US-77 will be closed;
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235/US-77 will be closed; and
- Westbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane between Kelley Ave. (mm 128B) and Western Ave. (mm 126).
When the ramps and lanes open Thursday morning, motorists should be alert to the lane shift and slight changes to ramps within the work zone. They should expect delays and congestion or use their Off Broadway alternate routes to avoid the area while traffic adjusts to the new lane configuration.
I-235/I-44 interchange work continues through 2021; expect lane shifts and intermittent ramp closures
Drivers should be alert to the following traffic impacts in the I-235/US-77 construction zone at I-44 for ongoing reconstruction and widening that continues through 2021:
- The northbound I-235/US-77 dedicated exit ramp to N. 63rd St. has shifted south. This temporary shift puts the exit significantly earlier in the interchange and is located just past the westbound and eastbound I-44 off-ramps. If northbound I-235/US-77 motorists miss the exit to N. 63rd St. the next available off-ramp will be Wilshire Blvd. Motorists are advised to plan ahead for delays and congestion in the area as traffic adjusts.
- Motorists should be alert to changing conditions including lane shifts, narrowed lanes and workers along northbound and southbound I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St. and along eastbound and westbound I-44 between Western Ave. (mm 126) and Kelley Ave. (mm 128B).
- Both I-235 and I-44 will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction during peak commute hours, but may narrow to one lane some nights and weekends.
- Eastbound I-44 traffic planning to exit to southbound I-235/US-77, northbound I-235/US-77 or to southbound Lincoln Blvd. must stay in the far right lane starting at Western Ave. (mm 126). Additionally, eastbound and westbound I-44 has limited merge areas at ramps in the work zone. Motorists should be prepared to stop and yield when entering I-44 in these areas.
- Motorists traveling from northbound I-235 to westbound I-44 will need to be in the right lane of northbound I-235 and exit at N. 50th St. (mm 50B). Once on the ramp, stay to the left to access the one-lane ramp to westbound I-44 (mm 44A). There is a limited merge area at the end of the ramp onto westbound I-44. Be prepared to stop and yield to mainline I-44 traffic.
- Drivers are advised to use extra caution when merging onto southbound I-235/US-77 from N. 63rd St. as this on-ramp is shifted and there is a limited merge area.
- The westbound I-44 service road is shifted south between the US-77/Broadway Ext. ramp to just west of the southbound I-235 on-ramp through mid-May.
- Drivers should plan ahead and use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Martin Luther King Ave. to avoid the area.
New northbound I-235/US-77 ramp to westbound I-44 now OPEN
The following changes are now in place to exit from northbound I-235/US-77 to westbound I-44with the September opening of the new flyover ramp:
- Drivers need to be in the right lane of northbound I-235 and exit at N. 50th St. (mm 50B). Once on the ramp,stay to the left to access the new, one-lane ramp to westbound I-44 (mm 44A).
- There is a limited merge area at the end of the ramp onto westbound I-44. Be prepared to stop and yield to mainline I-44 traffic. This area remains an active construction zone. Motorists are urged to use extra caution in the area while traffic adjusts to the new configuration.
- The existing loop ramp to westbound I-44, which was accessed on the north end of the interchange, is now closed and will be removed from service. (Shown on the map above in red.)
When complete, the I-235/I-44 interchange will be the first four-level interchange on the state highway system. The future eastbound I-44 flyover ramp to northbound US-77/Broadway Ext.is expected to open in fall 2020 while overall construction work continues on the $105 million Off Broadway project through fall 2021. Motorists are reminded to continue using their Off Broadway alternate routes such as I-35, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, I-40, Lincoln Blvd. and Martin Luther King Ave.
I-44 narrows, shifts for I-235 bridge work
Westbound and eastbound I-44 are significantly shifted to the north and are narrowed to two lanes between Kelley Ave. (mm 128B) and Western Ave. (mm 126) through fall for ongoing I-235construction.
Motorists are reminded that eastbound I-44 travelers will need to plan ahead by staying in the far right thru-lane in order to take the off-ramps for southbound I-235, northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. and southbound Lincoln Blvd. Motorists also are advised to plan ahead for delays and congestion in the area or use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway or Martin Luther King Ave.
The newly realigned northbound I-235 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 is shown in yellow in the above graphic.
The previous ramp exit shown in red is now closed. Motorists are advised to use caution in the area as traffic adjusts to the new configuration.
New I-235 ramp opened to eastbound I-44 in early June
Motorists should be alert to the realignment of the northbound I-235 off-ramp to eastbound I-44, which is now open to traffic. Caution is advised in the area as motorists adjust to the new exit location, which is just to the north of N. 50th St. Additionally, eastbound I-44 remains narrowed to two lanes up to Kelley Ave. (mm 128B) and motorists are advised to use caution entering this area of the work zone.
Drivers are strongly cautioned to put away distractions and pay close attention as they navigate the work zone on I-235 and I-44.
Motorists are advised to plan ahead and use their Off Broadway alternate routes of I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Martin Luther King Ave. to avoid the area.
Additional lane closures and traffic shifts will continue to occur throughout 2020 as lanes are added. The construction contract allows up to four additional complete interstate closures for a weekend each time — three for I-235 and one for I-44 at the interchange. Those closures will be announced as information becomes available.
Stay tuned to http://www.odot.org and to the department's Twitter and Facebook pages @OKDOT for updated lane closure information as the project progresses.
Alternate routes to I-235/US-77 include I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Lincoln Blvd. Martin Luther King Ave. also is an option in partnership with the City of Oklahoma City.
This is how theI-235/US-77 and I-44interchangelooked prior to the latest phase ofreconstruction starting in January 2019. Work will continue through spring 2021 to widen I-235/US-77 to six lanes at I-44.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- This phase will widen I-235/US-77to six lanes between N. 50th St. and N.63rd St and will feature a four-levelinterchange, the first of its kind on the state highway system.
- This $105 million contract was awarded in December 2018 to Allen Contracting Inc. of Oklahoma City, making it at that time the largest, single dollar amount contract awarded in department history.
- There will be 11 bridges total constructed as part of this phase to reconstruct the I-235/US-77 andI-44 interchange, which includes building two new flyover ramps to move traffic more efficiently from northbound I-235to westbound I-44 and from eastbound I-44to northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext.
- Once the flyover ramps are constructed, the two cloverleaf ramps for those movements will be eliminated. The cloverleaf ramps for westbound I-44 on-ramp to southbound I-235 and southbound I-235 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be widened and reconstructed. These ramps will have an up to 10-day closure later in the project.
- The contract allows for an up to 45-day closure of the northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. off-ramp to N. 63rd St. later in the project.
- Click here to read the project launch press release.
Work on the new flyover ramp bridge piers continues along I-235at the I-44 interchange in late 2019.
UPCOMING TRAFFIC IMPACTS
- Motorists can expect northbound and southbound I-235/US-77to generally remain open to two lanes of traffic during peak commute hours, but there will be night-timeand weekend lane closures at varying times.
- There are up to five full weekend closures of I-235/US-77and I-44 in the schedule to allow for bridge removals and hanging new bridge beams.
- The northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 50th St. also will close for the contractor to complete the new connection to N. 50th St., which includes modifying the intersection of N. 50th St. and Santa Fe Ave. The northbound I-235 on-ramp from N. 50th St. is permanently closed to make room for the eastbound I-44 flyover ramp to northbound US-77/Broadway Ext.
- Off Broadway detour options include I-35 to the east, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway to the west, I-44, N. Lincoln Blvd. and Martin Luther King Ave./Eastern Ave.
STAY UP TO DATE
- Motorists may follow @OKDOT onTwitterandFacebookfor regular traffic updates.
- Check interstate conditions before you hit the road atwww.oktraffic.org.
- Sign up atwww.odot.orgfor daily metro area traffic advisories direct to your email. Look for the blue box on the home page, enter your email address and select your areas of interest.
- Traffic advisories and interstate conditions also can be found in ODOT's mobile app for iPhone and Android.
- Reconstruction of westbound I-44 ramp to northbound I-235/US-77 and addition of a direct connect from N. Lincoln Blvd. to US-77/Broadway Ext. is estimated at $16.8 million and currently scheduled for award in late 2022and for construction in early2023.
This graphic shows the sequence of the seven phases needed to reconstruct and widen I-235/US-77 at I-44. The phase that started in spring 2019 is shown in red and orange. The pink phase is scheduled for award in late 2022.
- 2011— Southbound US-77 ramp to westbound I-44 at $19.2 million. Shown on map above in yellow.
- 2013— I-44 eastbound to I-235 southbound ramp at the I-235/I-44 interchange at $10 million. Shown on map above in light blue.
- 2017— I-235 between N. 36thSt. and I-44, which includes the installation of the 4-million pound BNSFrailroad bridge. This $88 million phase is shown on the map above in green and dark blue. Learn more about this phase athttps://www.ok.gov/odot/OFF_Broadway_and_I-235.html