Skip to main content

Public Bathing Places

Public v.s. Private

The Oklahoma State Department of Health only regulates public bathing place venues which includes numerous types of pools or other water recreational venues that the public has access to.  In some instances, a “public” pool is considered private because only certain members may gain access or member’s guests. Regardless if a public pool is private or public, both are under the regulatory authority and must be licensed.  Below are just a few examples.

  • Public – requires licensure
    • Public
      • Fun park
      • Municipal pool/spa
      • Schools
      • Government Run Campgrounds
    • Private
      • Apartments
      • Country club
      • Exercise club
      • Home owners associations with more than 30 homes
      • Hotel/Motel
      • Retirement center
      • Summer camps
      • Therapy pool/spa
      • University pool/spa
  • Private – no licensure
    • Home owners associations with 30 OR LESS homes
    • Individual home owners

Public Bathing Place Venues

These may either be indoor or outdoor venues.

  • Lazy River
  • Pool
  • Slide Pool
  • Spa
  • Wading Pool

Splash Pads

Spray pads, spray grounds or splash pads are not regulated in the State of Oklahoma.

Float Tanks

Float tanks, or isolation tanks, are not regulated in the State of Oklahoma at this time. 

Location and Contact Information

Mailing Address:
Consumer Health Service
PO Box 268815                  
Oklahoma City, OK 73126 

Physical Location:
Oklahoma State Department of Health
Consumer Health Service
1000 N.E. 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73117

Contact Information:
Phone: (405) 271-5243
Fax:     (405) 271-5286

PHB seal
Back to Top