Body Mass Index Reporting
Effective January 4, 2021, the Oklahoma State Department of Health will be onboarding providers for the submission of Body Mass Index Reporting HL7 Messages. If you are interested in onboarding with us, please email us at MeaningfulUse@health.ok.gov.
Oklahoma Public Health Requirements
- Providers should become familiar with the BMI Implementation Guide.
Physical Activity and Nutrition
The scope is the sending of data elements (e.g., height, weight, sex, date of birth, and date of measurement) that are necessary to calculate BMI from local EHR systems to public health surveillance systems, such as Health Weight Surveillance Systems.
- Defining the core data elements required for calculating BMI. The required data elements include height, weight, sex, date of birth, and date of measurement. The calculated BMI result and any additional demographics are optional that are not required by this guide.
- Sending BMI data including demographic information (required demographic data elements are sex and date of birth) from EHRs to public health surveillance systems for individuals.
- Public health surveillance systems acknowledging receipt of BMI data to EHRs.
- Reporting errors in the messaging process.
Out of Scope
- EHRs requesting BMI data from public surveillance systems.
- Responding to requests for BMI data by returning queried BMI data from public surveillance systems to EHRs.
- Business rules, which are not implicit in HL7, applied when creating a message.
- Business rules, which are not implicit in HL7, applied when processing a received message.
- The standard transport layer.
- Business rules used to de-duplicate clients or events.
- Management of healthy weight surveillance system.
Should you need more information regarding Body Mass Index (BMI), please see the CDC website.