Tai Chi: FAQ
What is Tai Chi: Moving for Better Balance?
- Tai Chi: Moving for Better Balance is a program that helps older adults improve their balance and reduce the likelihood of falling. Research has shown that people who complete the program are half as likely to fall and are less fearful about falling.
What Will I Learn?
- Participants will learn balance skills, good body alignment, and coordinated Tai Chi movements.
Should I Attend?
- The program is intended for community-dwelling older adults aged 60 and older, who can walk easily with or without assistive devices.
How Often Will I Need to Practice?
- Participants should practice Tai Chi: Moving for Better Balance for approximately three hours each week.
What Health Benefits Will I See?
- Improved physical health and better functioning in daily activities
- Improved balance, muscle strength, flexibility and mobility
- Better mental health such as increased self-esteem and less social isolation
Injury Prevention Service
Oklahoma State Department of Health
1000 NE 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73117