Vaccine Resources for Healthcare Professionals
The Pink Book (CDC website)
General Recommendations on Immunizations (CDC website)
Vaccination Standing Orders (IAC website)
Recommendations for Childhood & Adolescent Immunization (IAC website)
Recommendations for Adult Immunization (IAC website)
Need a copy? ACIP Recommendations can be ordered online at no charge!
Great resource to give parents! Online personalized immunization scheduler.
Recommended Vaccinations for Healthcare Providers
Checklist for Safe Vaccine Storage (IAC website)
Vaccine Storage & Handing Toolkit (CDC website)
Emergency Protocols: Clinics should have a protocol in place for anaphyaxis emergencies.
- Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Children & Teens (IAC website)
- Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Adult Patients (IAC website)
- Comfort Restraints (116k.pdf)
- Immunization Site Maps (951k.pdf) - Where to give multiple doses of vaccines
- Administering Vaccines: Dose, Route, Site and Needle Size (IAC website)
Vaccine Safety - Healthcare Personnel Responsibilities
- Store vaccines properly.
- Distribute vaccine information statements to parents or vaccine recipients prior to administration of each dose of vaccine and answer all questions.
- Screen patients for and observe valid precautions and contraindications.
- Administer vaccines correctly including proper dose, route, site, and needle size.
- Follow current recommended immunization schedules for children, adolescents, and adults, including proper timing and spacing of vaccine doses.
- Manage vaccine side effects using your best clinical judgement.
- Have procedures in place and be prepared for emergency care of a person who experiences an anaphylactic reaction.
- Report suspected side effects to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) (VAERS website).
- Follow federal requirements for recording vaccine administered.