Skip to main content

Family Planning

Our Mission

The mission of the Oklahoma Family Planning Program is “to provide individuals with the information and means to exercise personal choice in determining  the number and spacing of their children.”

At Mayes County Health Department, our Family Planning services are provided by Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practitioners (APRN-CNP) and Public Health Nurses.

Services are provided without regard to religion, race, color, national origin, creed, disability, sex, or ability to pay.



Family Planning services are offered on a sliding scale. A client’s percentage to pay is based on their income. No one is denied services based on inability to pay.

For more information about Family Planning services, or to schedule an appointment, please call the Mayes County health department at (918) 825-4224.

The following services are offered:

Pink Girl Symbol

Women of childbearing age:

• Pregnancy test

• Pap smear

• Breast exam

• Testing for sexually transmitted diseases

• Testing for anemia

• Blood pressure check

• Height

• Weight

• Education and counseling on methods to prevent pregnancy

• Counseling and referrals.

Blue Boy Symbol

Men of childbearing age:

• Physical examination

• Instructions in testicular self-exams

• Testing for sexually transmitted diseases

• Education and counseling on methods to prevent pregnancy

• Counseling and referrals.

Methods of birth control provided by the health department:

• Oral contraceptives (birth control pills

• Depo-Provera injection

• Ortho-Evra patch

• Intra-uterine device (IUD)

• Intra-uterine system (IUS)

• Diaphragms

• Condoms

• Emergency contraception

• NuvaRing

• Nexplanon

• Natural Family Planning

Adolescents are encouraged to involve their parents.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is eligible for Family Planning Services?
A: Any woman of childbearing age or any man that would like to prevent pregnancy are eligible to receive birth control through Family Planning.

Q: Does my Mom need to be with me for my visit?
A: No, however, adolescents are encouraged to involve their parents

Q: Can I get a pregnancy test at the Health Department?
A: Yes, we offer pregnancy testing. We provide proof of pregnancy letters for Medicaid and make appropriate referrals for our clients.

Q: What proof of income do I need to bring to my family planning appointment?
A: You may bring one of the following items as proof of income. 1. Two pay stubs for everyone working in the household (within 90 days) 2. Recent leave and earning statement. 3. Unemployment letter/notice 4. Current disability assistance document (SSI) 5. Written statement of financial support 6. Signed letter from employer stating gross income 7. Letter from DHS showing current eligibility for TANF or Food Stamps

Q: What if I can not pay my family planning bill?
A: Family planning services are offered on a sliding scale. A client's percentage to pay is based on income. However, you will not be denied services because of your inability to pay. For clients 19 and over financial assistance is available through SoonerPlan. SoonerPlan is a program made available through the Oklahoma Health Care Authority that will cover family planning services. To apply for this program please bring Photo ID and Birth Certificate.

PHB seal
Back to Top