SoonerStart is Oklahoma’s early intervention program. It is designed to meet the needs of families with infants or toddlers with developmental delays and/or disabilities in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The program builds upon and provides supports and resources to assist family members to enhance infants or toddler’s learning and development through every day learning opportunities.
Services may include:
- Child Development Specialist
- Special Educator
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services
- Vision Services
- Nutrition Services
- Psychological services.
Infants and toddlers in Oklahoma who meet the criteria of developmentally delayed are eligible for SoonerStart services. As used in the Oklahoma Early Intervention Act, [Oklahoma State Statutes Title 70, Section 13-123] “developmentally delayed” means children who:
- Exhibit a delay in their developmental age compared to their chronological age of fifty percent or score two standard deviations below the mean in one or more of the following areas or in a sub-domain of one of the areas: cognitive, physical, communication, social or emotional, or adaptive development;
- Exhibit a delay in their developmental age compared to their chronological age of twenty-five percent or score one and one-half standard deviations below the mean in two or more of the following areas or in a sub-domain of two or more of the following areas: cognitive, physical, communication, social or emotional, or adaptive development; or
- Have a diagnosed physical or mental condition that has been identified as having a high probability for a developmental delay.
How to Apply:
A referral to the SoonerStart, Early intervention program can be made by any concerned individual via a phone call to any of the SoonerStart sites. The referral source would need to provide the program with contact information of the child and family and the intake process begins. The SoonerStart website can provide contact information for all county SoonerStart sites in Oklahoma. http://sde.ok.gov/sde/soonerstart
For more information about the program as well as the contact information for SoonerStart sites statewide, go to the Oklahoma State Department of Education website;
1000 NE 10th St., Room 904
Oklahoma City, OK 73117
Phone: (405) 271-8333
Fax: (405) 271-4419
E-Mail: John M. Corpolongo, M.S., Director