Get Regular Health Check-ups
Regular health check-ups can find diseases and prevent complications early when they are easiest to treat. To stay healthy and increase the likelihood of a healthy pregnancy women should be aware that:
- Birth defects are common in women who have diabetes. Frequent doctor visits during pregnancy will ensure good control of blood sugar to prevent complications.
- Women with high blood pressure before pregnancy are at risk for pre-eclampsia during pregnancy.
- Heart disease can be a risk to both mother and baby. The medication for heart disease may cause birth defects.
- Regular dental check-ups can prevent disease of the gums. Pregnant women with gum disease are at risk of having a premature baby.
- Early detection and treatment of a sexually transmitted disease (STD) is an important part of health care. Women with a STD can pass the disease to their baby. Women with a STD may also become sterile.
- Pap smears can detect early stages of cervical cancer. Have annual pap smears to ensure early detection and treatment of cervical cancer. Treatment should occur before stopping birth control.
- Hepatitis B and C are serious diseases of the liver that can be transmitted to the unborn baby.
- It’s important to be current on vaccinations before becoming pregnant.