Julie L. Bonner Nurse Award
Julie L. Bonner (1969 - 2005) joined the Children First team in October 1998 as a Lead Nurse for Washington, Rogers, Nowata and Osage Counties. In July 1999, she accepted a position as Nurse Consultant and transferred to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, Central Office. As a Nurse Consultant, Julie provided countless hours of training, technical assistance and made numerous site visits to Children First teams across the state. She was instrumental in developing and implementing the Children First policies, training materials, program guidelines, client handouts and the Children First Lead Nurse Manual. She was a certified trainer for Partners in Parenting Education and the Nursing Child Assessment Satellite Training.
Julie truly believed in the Nurse-Family Partnership model and the mission of Children First to empower first-time mothers to care for themselves and their children. Children First honors Julie's memory by annually presenting The Julie Bonner Nurse Award to a Children First nurse who exhibits the following:
- confidence in delivering the Nurse-Family Partnership elements;
- collaboration with peers and supervisors to develop solutions;
- best practices to overcome common challenges;
- enthusiasm for serving as a Children First nurse; and
- an ability to reach a client's/mother's "heart's desire".
Most Recent Award Winner