Breastfeeding Your Baby with Special Needs
Benefits of Nursing Your Baby with Special Needs – La Leche League
(These pages have been reprinted with permission from LLLI publications. Articles are listed with the most current published or revised items first.)
Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline
Línea de Oklahoma Lactancia Materna
24 Hour Toll-Free Breastfeeding Support Line for nursing mothers, their families, partners, expecting parents, and healthcare providers. All calls returned by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
For More Resources
- Oklahoma Family Network
Informs and connects those with special health care needs and disabilities, their families and professionals to services and support in their communities.
Oklahoma's early intervention program designed to meet the needs of infants and toddlers aged birth to 36 months, with disabilities and developmental delays.
- Oklahoma Moms of Multiples
- Dial 211 for statewide referrals and information
- SoonerSuccess provides resources, support & referrals for OK Children & Youth (Birth - 21) with Special Needs 1-877-441-0434
- Le Leche League in Oklahoma
- La Leche League International
- Supporting Feeding & Oral Development in Young Children
Guidelines for Parents - Down Syndrome Ireland
Hospitals with Breastfeeding Support for Babies with Special Health Care Needs
- The Children’s Hospital at OU Medical Center – Oklahoma City
- INTEGRIS Baptist Lactation Services - Oklahoma City 405-949-3254
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit 405-949-3393 (NICU)
- Mercy Birthplace - Oklahoma City 405-755-1515
- Hillcrest Medical Center – Peggy V. Helmerich Women's Health Center - Tulsa 918-579-8018
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit 918-579-8000
- The Children’s Hospital at Saint Francis – Tulsa
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit 918-502-6550 MILK Line 918-494-6455
- St. John's Health System - Breastfeeding Center – Tulsa 918-744-2681
- Norman Regional Health System - Women's and Children's Services – Norman Lactation Consultants 405-515-3532
Pediatric Specialty Centers
- The Children's Center - Bethany 405-789-2681
- J.D. McCarty Center for Children with Developmental Disabilities – Norman 405-307-2837
Mothers' Milk Banks screen donors and collect, process, and dispense donor human milk, which is prescribed by health care providers to help preterm and fragile infants thrive.
- The Oklahoma Mothers' Milk Bank (OMMB), located at 901 North Lincoln Boulevard, Suite 330, in Oklahoma City, began dispensing pasteurized milk in August 2013, and now is officially operating as the 13th milk bank in the U.S.!
- The Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI) is partnering with the OMMB to assist in operations. The milk bank is located in OBI's new building, which provides a central location for delivering milk statewide and will benefit from OBI's on-site donor screening, statewide courier service, and locations around the state for housing of milk depots.
- OMMB supplies pasteurized donor milk primarily to hospitals in Oklahoma, though requests from hospitals in the surrounding region will be considered.
- Oklahoma Mothers' Milk Bank promotional video
- Contact Information