The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program is a federally funded nutrition program for pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants and children from birth to five years of age. The goal of the WIC program in Woods County is to give our children the best possible start in life. In order to achieve this goal, WIC provides nutrition education, healthy foods, breastfeeding support, and health care referrals.
What does WIC Provide?
- Nutrition and breastfeeding education and counseling
- Nutritious foods to add to your diet
- WIC foods include: milk, formula, juice, cheese, cereal, beans and eggs (You may also be able to get tuna, peanut butter, fresh fruits and vegetables)
- Breast pumps for mothers who qualify
- Referrals to health and social services
Who is eligible for WIC services?
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or have recently given birth.
- Any child, birth to five years of age.
- Have a family income within program limits (if you receive income from a job you may still qualify).
- If you or your child has SoonerCare, SNAP, TANF, or receive any assistance from DHS you are automatically eligible for the WIC Program.
- Click here for the online prescreening tool to help determine if you qualify.
Who may apply for WIC services for a child?
- Two-parent families, single-mothers or single-father families, grandparents and foster parent.
- Caretaker, guardian or proxy
How does eWIC work?
- One eWIC card is issued per family
- Food benefits are loaded monthly; redeemed at the store using a pin number
- Purchases are flexible; buy only what you need, when you need it during the month
- SNAP benfits and eWIC can be used during the same transaction; eWIC must be used first
How do I apply for WIC?
What information I will need to provide the WIC clinic at appointment day?
- Completed WIC Health Assessment for all individuals being certified.
- Proof of identification/Photo ID
- Birth certificate
- Immunization record
- Proof of income
- Proof of address
- Medicaid cards
- If your WIC certification appointment is for child/children, bring child/children to appointment.
- Special Formula Request - completed by Doctor (if necessary)
What to expect during your appointment:
- Your WIC professional will ask for a brief health and eating history
- You will receive a weight and height check along with a finger blood test for anemia
- You will learn how WIC foods will help you and your child
- If you are eligible, you will receive your WIC benefits on the day of your appointment and can go directly to the grocery store
- Other follow-up appointments will be made for nutrition education and brief health assessments
- Nutrition and breastfeeding classes are held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month by appointment.
- On-line Nutrition Education classes are available anytime for general nutrition classes only- Click here to begin your online nutrition education. All you need to create an account is your demographics ID from your WIC Clinic.
- Breastfeeding classes are required for all pregnant clients, regardless of number of pregnancies or choice to not breastfeed.
- WIC contracts with certain formula companies to use their products. Other formulas may be provided for infants with documented special needs.
- For those who wish to breast feed, breast pumps will be issued, if available, and you meet requirements
Breastfeeding is best!
- Breast milk is the best food for babies. Breastfeeding give babies the best start in life. The WIC program encourages women to breast feed.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive additional foods. If you are breastfeeding only, you will receive canned tuna, fresh or frozen vegetables and peanut butter, in addition to your other WIC foods.
- Breastfeeding also builds a special closeness between you and your baby that will last a lifetime.
- For Additional information on breast feeding you may call the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline: 1-877-271-MILK (6455). The hotline is a 24 hour toll-free breastfeeding support line for nursing mothers, their families, partners, prospective parents and health professionals. All calls are returned by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
For more information visit: