Women, Infants, Children Supplemental Nutrition Program
Families and WIC Working Together for Healthy Children
What is WIC?
WIC is a federally funded program administered by the Oklahoma State Department of Health that provides nutrition education and supplemental food for those who qualify.
What does WIC Provide?
- Nutrition and breastfeeding education and counseling
- Nutritious foods to add to your diet
- WIC foods include: milk, formula, juice, cheese, cereal, beans and eggs (You may also be able to get tuna, peanut butter, fresh fruits and vegetables)
- Breast pumps for mothers who qualify
- Referrals to health and social services
What do I do to qualify for WIC Services?
- Live in the state of Oklahoma
- Have a family income within the program limits WIC income guidelines
- You may be eligible for WIC if you are eligible for Medicaid, or Food Stamps
Who may apply for WIC?
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have recently given birth
- Children up to age 5
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
- Completed WIC Health Assessment for all individuals being certified.
- Proof of identification/Photo ID
- Birth certificate
- Immunization record
- Proof of income
- Proof of address
- Medicaid cards
- If your WIC certification appointment is for child/children, bring child/children to appointment.
Breastfeeding is best!
Breast milk is the best food for babies. Breastfeeding gives babies the best start in life. The WIC program encourages women to breastfeed.
Breastfeeding mothers receive additional foods. If you are breastfeeding only, you will receive canned tuna, fresh or frozen vegetables and peanut butter, in addition to your other WIC foods.
Breastfeeding also builds a special closeness between you and your baby that will last a lifetime.
For additional information on breastfeeding you may call the Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline: 1-877-271-MILK (6455). The hotline is a 24 hour toll-free breastfeeding support line for nursing mothers, their families, partners, prospective parents and health professionals. All calls are returned by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
To schedule a WIC appointment please call 918-540-2481.