Children First Program
“My nurse was my connection to community resources, my sounding board and my confidence builder. Having my nurse was like having a motherhood coach. Every new mother deserves a visiting nurse.” -Former Client
What is Children First?
Children First is a voluntary home visitation program available through your local health department., which offers public health services to families expecting to deliver and/or parent their first child. The program encourages early and continuous prenatal care, personal development, and the involvement of the fathers, grandparents, and other supporting persons in parenting. It is staffed by skilled and caring public health nurses, who provide home visitation services during pregnancy and the first two years of the child’s life.
Who Can Enroll?
Enrollment is open to women less than 29 weeks pregnant who are expecting their first child and meet income eligibility criteria.
When and How Often Can Visits Occur?
• Can begin during pregnancy and continue until your child is 2 years old
• Can be scheduled every other week during pregnancy, infancy and toddler period
• Can be scheduled weekly during the 6 week period after your baby’s birth
• Can be tailored to meet your needs
What Happens During a Visit?
• Help you find answers about what happens during pregnancy
• Help you develop your plan for a healthy pregnancy
• Answer your questions about labor and delivery
• Answer your questions about how to care for your baby
• Help you find resources to meet your family’s needs.
After Your Baby Arrives Your Nurse Will…..
• Answer your questions about how and what to feed your baby
• Help you understand your child’s growth and development
• Provide brief health assessments of the baby
• Answer your questions about parenting
• Answer questions about your baby’s health and safety; and
• Help you find resources to meet your family’s needs
For additional information, or to schedule a
Children First visit, contact:
Mayes County Health Department
Services are not intended to replace services provided by your or your baby’s healthcare provider.