Funeral Director's Responsibility
In general, a funeral director's duties are to:
- Complete all required items in the Personal Information section of the death certificate (Items 1 through 24).
- Send certificate to the physician for completion of the Medical Information section (Items 25 through 49).
- Review entire certificate for completeness and accuracy. Address any omissions, errors, and/or discrepancies.
- File the certificate with the State Registrar.
- Notify the medical examiner of any death believed to have been an accident, suicide, homicide, or to have occurred without medical attendance. (63 OS 938)
- Obtain and use all necessary permits for cremation or removal of the body from the state.
- Cooperate with State Registrar concerning any questions on certificate entries.
- Be thoroughly familiar with all Oklahoma laws, rules, and regulations governing vital statistics.
- Call the Vital Records Division for advice and assistance when necessary.