Driving While Impaired (DWI)
This is a suspension stemming from a conviction for Driving While Impaired with a blood or breath alcohol concentration of 0.05-0.079. DPS upon receipt of a record of your conviction for Driving While Impaired will suspend your driving privileges as follows:
- The first suspension shall be for thirty (30) days;
- The second suspension shall be for six (6) months;
- The third or subsequent suspension shall be for one (1) year.
To reinstate this type of suspension, the driver must:
- Serve the statutory period of suspension (30 days, 6 months, 1 year) as described above;
- Attend a State approved Alcohol/Drug Assessment and complete all recommendations following the assessment. It may take up to twelve months to complete the requirement. Upon completion of all requirements, a completion certificate will be provided to the driver by the assessor. Driver must provide the completion certificate to the Driver Compliance Division of DPS;
- Pay the statutory fees in the amount of $315.00* to DPS.
*NOTE: The amount of statutory fees for reinstatement is dependent on the laws in effect at the time of the offense and are subject to change by the Legislature.