Applying for a Learner Permit
To apply for a Learner Permit, the applicant must be at least 15 1/2 years of age. Applicant must appear before a Driver License Examiner. The examiner will process the applicant and administer a vision and written exam. If the applicant passes, the examiner will issue a form that is taken to a tag agency where they will pay the fee and get the permit printed.
The applicant must bring in the following:
- Primary ID — usually a state-certified birth certificate. For a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents, click here.
- Social Security Number.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma School, click here for a list of alternate documents.
- If you are under the age of 18 you must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.
- If your are between the age of 15 1/2 and 16 you must bring documentation showing that you are receiving instruction in a driver's education course (i.e., certificate or green card from public school driver's ed) or a contract for driver's education from a commercial school or a parent-taught driver's education affidavit. Driver Education is not required if you are over the age of 16, however if you are taking or have completed Driver Education bring in the documentation. Click here for information about Parent Taught Driver Education.
- Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc: These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »
If you are under the age of 18, you must have a permit for 6 months from the issue date. Anyone over 18 who gets a permit must hold it for 30 days minimum.