Skip to main content

ATTENTION: Our DPS locations and tag agent offices are currently experiencing system issues that are causing longer wait times for customers. We are working right now to fix this problem as soon as possible. In the meantime, we ask customers with non-critical needs to consider delaying their visit. We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide an update as soon as we know more. Thank you for your understanding.

Modified Driver License

  1. May I get a Hardship Permit (Modified Driver License) to drive while my license is suspended or revoked?

    • Under some suspensions or revocations, a person is eligible to apply for a permit (a modified driver license) allowing limited driving during the period of suspension or revocation. You should meet with a Driver Compliance Hearing Officer to make application.

  2. Because I refused or failed the State's breath or blood test, I was served an Officer's Affidavit and Notice of Revocation. I requested an Administrative Hearing to contest the revocation. At the Administrative Hearing, the Hearing Officer ruled against me. May I still get a hardship permit (modified drivers license) to drive?

    • Yes, but you will be required to appeal to the District Court of the county of your arrest. Once an administrative hearing has been held, the Department of Public Safety cannot agree to a modified drivers license without a petition being filed in the District Courts seeking such relief.
Last Modified on Oct 05, 2020
Back to Top